Turbulence pressure in convection zone

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a formula that relates turbulence pressure to temperature in the convection zone of a star. Two potential sources for this formula are mentioned, but the complexity of the problem is acknowledged. The speaker is currently working on a composite polytrope model and hopes to identify a specific term in an equation that can be attributed to convection.
Helios
Is there a formula for turbulence pressure that is a function of temperature ( in the convection zone of a star )?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Helios said:
Is there a formula for turbulence pressure that is a function of temperature ( in the convection zone of a star )?
I didn't look at the whole thing yet, but it should be on:
http://chjaa.bao.ac.cn/2004/2004_4_5p490.pdf (Pages 2 & 3) or at:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/journal/issues/ApJS/v108n2/33389/33389.web.pdf (Page 6).

Last edited by a moderator:
The complexity of that is far too daunting. I want to avoid time-dependence and certainly magnetism. Frankly, I'll tell you what I'm working on and that is a composite polytrope; n=3 inside and n=1.5 for a convective envelope. Now I would like to be able to point to some term in an equation and say this part is due to convection. My articulation is vague at this point and I would welcome any ideas.

Related to Turbulence pressure in convection zone

1. What is turbulence pressure in the convection zone?

Turbulence pressure in the convection zone is the measure of the turbulent motion of gas or plasma within the convection zone of a star. It is caused by the convective motion of the gas, which creates eddies and turbulent flows that contribute to the overall pressure within the convection zone.

2. How is turbulence pressure related to convection in stars?

Turbulence pressure plays a crucial role in the process of convection in stars. As gas or plasma rises and falls within the convection zone due to temperature differences, it creates turbulent flows that contribute to the overall pressure within the zone. Without turbulence pressure, convection would not occur and the transport of energy within the star would be limited.

3. What factors affect the level of turbulence pressure in the convection zone?

The level of turbulence pressure in the convection zone is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas or plasma. Higher temperatures and pressures generally result in higher levels of turbulence pressure, while changes in the composition of the gas can also impact the intensity of turbulence within the zone.

4. How is turbulence pressure measured in stars?

Turbulence pressure is difficult to measure directly in stars, but it can be inferred through observations of the convective motions and energy transport within the convection zone. Scientists also use computer simulations and models to study the effects of turbulence pressure on the behavior of stars.

5. What are the implications of turbulence pressure in the convection zone for stellar evolution?

Turbulence pressure has a significant impact on the evolution of stars. It plays a crucial role in transporting energy from the core to the outer layers of the star, affecting its overall structure and luminosity. Turbulence pressure also contributes to the mixing of elements within the star, which can impact its chemical composition and eventual fate.