Turbine ECU starter voltage drop

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a model gas turbine with an ecu and a starter motor. The issue at hand is dropping the voltage from 12.6volts to 6volts without exceeding the maximum current. The suggested solution is using Zener Diodes, but the specific components needed are unknown. A voltage divider may also be used, but attention must be paid to the watt rating of the resistors used.
scott quinn
Hi Guys,

I have a model gas turbine that is driven by an ecu ... the ecu starter output is 12.6volts but the starter motor is rated to 6volts.

The ECU can easily supply 20amps although the starter motor is rated to 5amps max efficiency.

I need to drop the voltage from 12.6volts to 6volts and make sure I don't pull more than the max current ...

I have been reading about Zener Diodes here http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/ViewObject.aspx?ID=SSE7005and it seems to do exactly what I need how ever I am not sure what value components I require ...

Can anybody help me out? I don't want to fry my ecu :redface:

Scott.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is just for demo purposes, and you don't care about efficiency, just use a simple voltage divider.

Pay close attention to the watt rating of the resistors you use. The divider will get hot.

Related to Turbine ECU starter voltage drop

1. What is a turbine ECU starter voltage drop?

A turbine ECU starter voltage drop is a decrease in the voltage supplied to the starter motor of a turbine engine. This can occur during the start-up process and can affect the performance and reliability of the engine.

2. What causes a turbine ECU starter voltage drop?

There are several potential causes for a turbine ECU starter voltage drop, including a weak battery, faulty wiring, or a malfunctioning starter motor or ECU. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

3. How is a turbine ECU starter voltage drop measured?

A turbine ECU starter voltage drop is typically measured using a voltmeter or multimeter. The voltage drop is calculated by comparing the voltage at the battery with the voltage at the starter motor during the starting process.

4. What are the potential consequences of a turbine ECU starter voltage drop?

If the voltage drop is significant, it can lead to a weak or failed start of the turbine engine, which can result in delays, downtime, and potential safety hazards. It can also cause damage to the starter motor or other components of the engine.

5. How can a turbine ECU starter voltage drop be prevented or corrected?

To prevent or correct a turbine ECU starter voltage drop, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the battery, wiring, starter motor, and ECU. Environmental factors should also be taken into consideration, and proper starting procedures should be followed. In some cases, it may be necessary to replace faulty components or adjust the engine's electrical system.