Tuning Forks and Frequency: Finding Length

In summary, a long tube open at both ends is submerged in water and a vibrating tuning fork is placed near the top. The resonant frequency occurs when the length of the air column corresponds to one of the resonant frequencies. The smallest value for L is 16.00 cm. The frequency of the tuning fork is 539.0625 Hz. To find the value of L for the next two harmonics, use the same equation but with N = 3 and N = 5, resulting in values of 16.00 cm and 48.00 cm, respectively.
stevenbhester

Homework Statement

A long tube open at both ends is submerged in a beaker of water, and the vibrating tuning fork is placed near the top of the tube. The length of the air column, L, is adjusted by moving the tube vertically. The sound waves generated by the fork are reinforced when the length of the air column corresponds to one of the resonant frequencies of the tube. The smallest value for L for which a peak occurs in sound intensity is 16.00 cm. (Use 345 m/s as the speed of sound in air.)

(a) What is the frequency of the tuning fork?
______Hz
(b) What is the value of L for the next two harmonics?
______m
______m

Homework Equations

F=nV/4L

F=Frequency
N= Number of Harmonics
V= Velocity
L=Length

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
F=rV/4L
F=(1*345)/(4*.16)
F=345/.64
F=539.0625 Hz

B)
here's the problem. I have no clue how to do B or C. If I'm to plug it back into the aforementioned equation, what do I use for the frequency? If there's another equation, I wasn't taught it. I have looked through my textbook and workbook. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have already calculated the frequency. Actually the frequency of the tuning fork does not change hence the resonant frequency does not change because after all the pipe resonates with the fork.

Use the same equation. Same frequency. It's N that changes. Find the value of L. The question asks for "the next 2 harmonics", so you need to look at your book or notes to find out what the values of N are for the next two harmonics for a closed tube. (Closed at one end, that is.)

16.00cmX3
and 16.00cmX5
if I'm not mistaken

oops dat was the answer for second and third position of resonance

Related to Tuning Forks and Frequency: Finding Length

What is a tuning fork?

A tuning fork is a small metal instrument that produces a specific musical tone when struck. It is commonly used to tune musical instruments and in scientific experiments to measure frequency.

How does a tuning fork work?

A tuning fork works by converting mechanical energy into sound waves. When the two prongs of the fork vibrate, they displace the surrounding air molecules, creating a sound with a specific frequency.

What is the relationship between a tuning fork and frequency?

The frequency of a tuning fork is the number of vibrations it makes per second. This frequency is directly related to the length of the prongs and the material they are made of. The longer the prongs, the lower the frequency and vice versa.

How do you use a tuning fork to find length?

To find length using a tuning fork, you can use a process called resonance. This involves placing the vibrating tuning fork near the opening of a tube and adjusting the length of the tube until the sound produced by the fork matches the natural frequency of the tube. The length of the tube can then be measured to determine the length of the tuning fork's prongs.

What are the practical applications of tuning forks and frequency?

Tuning forks and frequency have many practical applications in both science and everyday life. They are commonly used in musical instruments, medical devices such as stethoscopes, and in scientific experiments to measure frequencies of sound, light, and other waves. They are also used in tuning radio and television receivers and in calibrating other instruments.