Tuning Fork Homework: Intensity & dB Level

So, the intensity of the sound at a distance of 1.0 meter from the tuning fork would be 1.273240 x 10^-9 w/m^2. In summary, the frequency of the tuning fork is 1000Hz and it emits a power of 4x3.14159 x10^-6. The intensity of the sound at a distance of 1.0 meter from the tuning fork is 1.273240 x 10^-9 w/m^2. The intensity level in dB of the sound is not provided.
anotherperson

Homework Statement

A tuning for, fork A, is struck and rings with a frequency of 1000Hz, emitting a power of 4x3.14159 x10^-6

a)what is the intensity of the sound, in w/m^2, that would be measured 1.0 from the tuning fork? assume that the tuning fork approximates a point source?

b) what is the intensity level in dB of this sound?

Homework Equations

I=P/A
B=10log10(I/Io) Io=10^-12

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no clue how to work out part a. but i know the solution to part a become the value of I and then you solve for B in part b

Physics news on Phys.org
The effects of a point source would spread equally in all directions. Assume all the power stays as a sound wave. Imagine sound waves eminating spherically (in all directions equally) from a point at the speed of sound. At the surface of any sphere centered around the point, the sound intensity will be the same. The total power of sound passing through the spherical surface will be equal to the power of the source, since no power was lost.

Related to Tuning Fork Homework: Intensity & dB Level

1. What is a tuning fork?

A tuning fork is a small metal instrument with two prongs that produces a specific pitch when struck. It is commonly used in music and science experiments.

2. How is intensity measured in a tuning fork?

Intensity is measured in a tuning fork by using a decibel (dB) scale. This scale measures the loudness of a sound and can range from 0 dB (the threshold of human hearing) to 120 dB (the threshold of pain).

3. How do you calculate the intensity of a tuning fork?

The intensity of a tuning fork can be calculated using the formula I = P/A, where I is the intensity, P is the power of the sound, and A is the area of the sound source. This formula is based on the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of a sound decreases as the distance from the source increases.

4. What is the dB level of a typical tuning fork?

The dB level of a typical tuning fork is around 60 dB. However, this can vary depending on the specific tuning fork and the distance from the source. The closer you are to the tuning fork, the higher the dB level will be.

5. How does the intensity of a tuning fork change with distance?

The intensity of a tuning fork follows the inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases. For example, if the distance from the tuning fork is doubled, the intensity will decrease by a factor of four.