Tuning Fork and a Tube of Water - Check My Work

In summary, the problem involves finding the next two values of L that correspond to resonant nodes in a tube with a tuning fork placed near the top. The calculated values of L are 20.162m and 20.487m, but the reasoning used is incorrect. The correct condition for resonance is L=λ/4+nλ/2, not L/4+nL/2. The value of L given in the problem is 20cm, not 20m.
Kristenx2
Hi everyone, just me doing my regular Thursday Physics homework and looking for someone to check my work.

Homework Statement

A tuning fork with a frequency of f=528Hz is placed near the top of a tube. The water level is lowered so that the length L slowly increases from an initial value of 20.0cm. Determine the next two values of L that correspond to resonant nodes. Assume the speed of sound in air is 343m/s.

Homework Equations

I used v=fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did λ=343/528, which gave me λ=0.650m.

Since I know that resonance occurs when length is L/4, 3L/4, 5L/4, and so on, I did
0.650(1/4)=0.162m
0.650(3/4)=0.487m

And finally, I added those lengths to the initial 20m, making the next 2 values of L 20.162m and 20.487m.

This just seems a little too simple for a 10 point problem, and I would just appreciate if someone could tell me if I am missing an item or something. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says 20cm, not 20m.

Even so, I don't think your reasoning is quite right. Presuming that L is the distance from the mouth of the tube to the water surface, the condition for resonance is that L=λ/4+nλ/2, not L/4+nL/2, which is what you wrote.

Can you do the rest?

Oh wow thank you for noticing that, now I am really glad I had someone check!
Thank you for your help, you're right that I should have done L=λ/4. I was reading the equation wrong, and the one I was given claimed L was wavelength and entirely ignored lambda, so shame on them.

Related to Tuning Fork and a Tube of Water - Check My Work

1. What is a tuning fork and how does it work?

A tuning fork is a small, metal instrument that produces a specific musical pitch when struck against a surface. It works by creating sound waves through the vibration of its tines, which are then amplified by the resonance of the surrounding air.

2. How does a tuning fork in a tube of water demonstrate resonance?

When a tuning fork is placed in a tube of water, the sound waves it creates travel down the tube and reflect off the closed end. This causes the sound waves to reinforce each other, resulting in a louder sound. This phenomenon is known as resonance, where an object vibrates with greater amplitude when exposed to a specific frequency.

3. What is the purpose of using a tube of water in this experiment?

The tube of water acts as a closed end for the sound waves to reflect off of, creating the resonance effect. It also allows for precise measurements of the length of the tube, which can be used to calculate the speed of sound in air.

4. Can the length of the tube of water affect the pitch of the tuning fork?

Yes, the length of the tube of water can affect the pitch of the tuning fork. As the length of the tube increases, the pitch of the tuning fork decreases. This is because the longer the tube, the lower the frequency of the sound waves produced, resulting in a lower pitch.

5. How is the speed of sound in air calculated using a tuning fork and a tube of water?

The speed of sound in air can be calculated by measuring the length of the tube of water and the frequency of the tuning fork. The formula used is speed = frequency x wavelength, where the wavelength is twice the length of the tube. By plugging in these values, the speed of sound in air can be determined.