Tug of war weight bias vs seated tug of war

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential bias in weight in events like tug of war and wrestling. The person suggests that changing the tug of war to a seated position may reduce the bias, but not completely eliminate it. They also bring up the idea of a one arm pull while seated, but acknowledge that the bias may still exist in that scenario as well. The summary concludes with the mention of a hypothetical scenario involving a 100kg man and a 50kg child participating in a tug of war on different surfaces, with the conclusion that the child may have the advantage despite their smaller size.
ryanj42
I saw a thread previously created but locked, and I do understand many events like the tug of war, and wrestling have a huge bias to weight.

100kg guy vs 70kg guy. The 100kg guy only needs to push around 70kg and visa versa. I do understand the 70kg guy could be stronger, but generally speaking the bigger guy has the advantage.

So I was thinking. Suppose you changed the tug of war to seated, how much (approx maybe) bias would be removed from the difference in weight. Does a seated tug of war equal things out and by how much?

My initial hypothesis is that the bias would be reduced partially.

Additionally, if you were both to sit in chairs facing each other and backs to the chair with a one arm pull, would this completely eliminate the bias in weight. Well at least until their arm was extended and you had to pull them out of the chair. But I'm thinking as their arm extended, they would have more strength at that point and pull you back.

Physics news on Phys.org
ryanj42 said:
I saw a thread previously created but locked, and I do understand many events like the tug of war, and wrestling have a huge bias to weight.

100kg guy vs 70kg guy. The 100kg guy only needs to push around 70kg and visa versa. I do understand the 70kg guy could be stronger, but generally speaking the bigger guy has the advantage.

So I was thinking. Suppose you changed the tug of war to seated, how much (approx maybe) bias would be removed from the difference in weight. Does a seated tug of war equal things out and by how much?

My initial hypothesis is that the bias would be reduced partially.
Let's suppose in a tug of war we have a 100 kg man holding the rope on one end and a 50 kg child holding the rope on the other end. The rope is initially slack. The man is standing on a very slippery ice surface, and the child is standing on firm rough ground. The official gives the start signal. Who will win? As a betting man, my money's on the kid.

Likes CWatters, billy_joule and sophiecentaur

Related to Tug of war weight bias vs seated tug of war

1. What is the difference between tug of war weight bias and seated tug of war?

Tug of war weight bias and seated tug of war are two different variations of the popular game. Tug of war weight bias involves a team of individuals pulling a rope while standing on a platform, with the goal of pulling the opposing team over a designated line. Seated tug of war, on the other hand, involves a team of individuals sitting on the ground and pulling the rope towards them, with the goal of bringing the other team closer to their side.

2. How does weight bias affect the outcome of a tug of war game?

Weight bias can have a significant impact on the outcome of a tug of war game. In tug of war weight bias, individuals standing on a platform have a higher ground and leverage, giving them an advantage over the opposing team. In seated tug of war, weight bias may not play as much of a role since both teams are sitting on the ground.

3. Can weight bias be compensated for in tug of war?

Yes, weight bias can be compensated for in tug of war. In tug of war weight bias, the team with a disadvantage can try to make up for it with strategy, teamwork, and strength. In seated tug of war, the placement of individuals on the team can also be adjusted to balance out weight bias.

4. Do different body types affect performance in tug of war weight bias vs seated tug of war?

Yes, different body types can play a role in performance in both variations of tug of war. In tug of war weight bias, individuals with a lower center of gravity, such as those with shorter or stockier builds, may have an advantage. In seated tug of war, individuals with longer arms and stronger upper bodies may have an advantage.

5. Are there any safety concerns with tug of war weight bias and seated tug of war?

Yes, there are safety concerns with both variations of tug of war. In tug of war weight bias, individuals may be at risk of falling off the platform or losing their grip on the rope, leading to potential injuries. In seated tug of war, individuals may also be at risk of losing their balance and falling, or getting hit by the rope or other players. Proper safety precautions should be taken when playing either variation of tug of war.