Tube End Forming - Rectangular to Circular

In summary: A welded fabrication is the best option. Solidworks flatten feature makes turning most 3d surfaces into 2d shapes for profile cutting easy.
Neil Chheda
Hi,

I wish to manufacture a transition tube from 4"x1" rectangular section to 3" OD circular section. The height of the part is 3" and is supposed be around 2 mm (.082") thick. Currently I am planning to manufacture this in a hydraulic press using (custom made ) end forming tools. The forming will be done in 3 or 2 stages starting from rect. and gradually forming a circular section. Has anyone tried this before? Is there any alternative way to make this. I am looking to make 6 such parts. I have no idea of the spring back, so can anyone help me with that. Also can anyone suggest me some literature/ handbook to help me in the process,
Material - Stainless Steel (304)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not really my field but perhaps it would be possible to make it from welded sheet metal? As you would a cone/funnel. Try making a paper template?

Edit: Actually I think this would be difficult.

Or perhaps print one using a 3D printer and cast copies in aluminium?

CWatters said:
Not really my field but perhaps it would be possible to make it from welded sheet metal? As you would a cone/funnel. Try making a paper template?

Edit: Actually I think this would be difficult.
CWatters said:
Or perhaps print one using a 3D printer and cast copies in aluminium?
I forgot to mention material, its Stainless steel

If you try to do this by simple cold forming then :

(a) the square tube will almost certainly split before the round shape is fully developed .

(b) the round section will always retain a component of 'squareness' that you will not be able to get rid of .

There are forming processes that would work but these would require sophisticated engineering facilities .

@CWatters has the right idea . Make the transition piece as a welded fabrication . This type of work is routinely done in ordinary sheet metal fabrication shops .

Working out the shapes of the individual parts for the fabrication is not particularly difficult .

Last edited:
Likes Neil Chheda and billy_joule
Nidum said:
@CWatters has the right idea . Make the transition piece as a welded fabrication . This type of work is routinely done in ordinary sheet metal fabrication shops .
For sure. Solidworks flatten feature makes turning most 3d surfaces into 2d shapes for profile cutting easy. The press brake operator does the hard part.

Nidum said:
If you try to do this by simple cold forming then :

(a) the square tube will almost certainly split before the round shape is fully developed .

(b) the round section will always retain a component of 'squareness' that you will not be able to get rid of .

There are forming processes that would work but these would require sophisticated engineering facilities .

Working out the shapes of the individual parts for the fabrication is not particularly difficult .
Thank you

As explained earlier, any attempt to open the right angle corners to a 1.5” radius by bending will fracture the material.

If you start with a rectangular section then, to prevent the fractures, you will need to cut along the tube corners prior to forming the circular section. After forming you will need to weld up the previous cuts with the new surface curvature and alignment.

What is the pressure and use of the part you need. A piece like this is a moderately easy standard layout from the sheet metal world. It would be easy to layout a pattern copy six times and fold them up. A little skill on a TiG welder could even make water or air tight parts.

Likes Neil Chheda

Related to Tube End Forming - Rectangular to Circular

1. What is tube end forming?

Tube end forming is a process used in the manufacturing of tubes to change their shape or create a different end configuration. It involves using various machines and tools to manipulate the end of a tube.

2. How is a rectangular tube converted to a circular tube?

The process of converting a rectangular tube to a circular tube involves using a machine called a rotary draw bender. The bender uses a mandrel and die to bend the tube into the desired shape. It can also be done using a press brake or roll bender.

3. What are the advantages of tube end forming?

Tube end forming offers several benefits, including increased strength and durability of the tube, improved aesthetics, and the ability to create complex shapes and configurations. It also allows for tighter connections and reduces the need for additional fittings.

4. What types of end configurations can be created using tube end forming?

Tube end forming can create a wide range of end configurations, including flaring, beading, reducing, expanding, and swaging. These configurations can be used for different purposes, such as connecting tubes, creating seals, or enhancing the strength of the tube.

5. What are some common applications of tube end forming?

Tube end forming is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and construction. It is often used to create exhaust systems, roll cages, handrails, and structural components. It is also used in plumbing, HVAC, and other industrial applications.