Ttorque angular acceleration units check

In summary, a hypothetical wheel with a m.o.i. of 1 lb*ft^2 and a radius of 1.9099 inches has a circumference of 1 foot. If a torque of 1 ft/lb is applied for 1 second, the resulting rotation would be 1 r.p.s. (60 r.p.m.) if the wheel was initially at rest. However, this value may be affected by the distinction between pound-mass and pound-force, and the acceleration produced by a one pound mass subject to a one pound force.
mstram
Given :

A (hypothetical) wheel with a m.o.i. of 1 lb*ft^2

Radius of wheel = 1.9099 inches, therefore circumference of wheel = 1 foot

The wheel is at rest, i.e. zero rotation speed.

A torque of 1 ft/lb is applied for 1 second

Is the result a rotation of 1 r.p.s. (60 r.p.m.) ?

thx
Mike

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mstram said:
Given :

A (hypothetical) wheel with a m.o.i. of 1 lb*ft^2

Radius of wheel = 1.9099 inches, therefore circumference of wheel = 1 foot

A torque of 1 ft/lb is applied for 1 second

Is the result a rotation of 1 r.p.s. (60 r.p.m.) ?

thx
Mike
If you are working in the system of U.S. customary units then you should carefully distinguish between pound-mass and pound-force. I see at least two problems with your result. Let's start with the easier one: What acceleration is produced when one pound force acts on one pound mass?

Sorry, I meant to write the initial rotation of the wheel is zero (at rest).

Does that make a difference ?

mstram said:
Sorry, I meant to write the initial rotation of the wheel is zero (at rest).
Does that make a difference ?
It would make a difference. But It seemed clear that we were to assume a start from rest anyway.

Again, what acceleration would you expect from a one pound mass subject to a one pound force?

Related to Ttorque angular acceleration units check

1. What are Ttorque angular acceleration units?

Ttorque angular acceleration units, also known as torque units or rotational acceleration units, are a measurement of how quickly an object's rotational speed changes over time. It is represented by the symbol α (alpha) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. How is Ttorque angular acceleration calculated?

Ttorque angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity (ω) by the change in time (t) it takes for that change to occur. This can be expressed as α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where ω2 and ω1 are the final and initial angular velocities, respectively, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times, respectively.

3. What are some common units of measurement for Ttorque angular acceleration?

Some common units of measurement for Ttorque angular acceleration include radians per second squared (rad/s²), revolutions per second squared (rev/s²), and degrees per second squared (deg/s²). Other units such as revolutions per minute squared (rev/min²) and hertz per second (Hz/s) may also be used.

4. How is Ttorque angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Ttorque angular acceleration and linear acceleration are two different types of acceleration. Ttorque angular acceleration refers to the change in an object's rotational speed, while linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's linear speed. Ttorque angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²) while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. Why is it important to check Ttorque angular acceleration units?

It is important to check Ttorque angular acceleration units to ensure that all calculations and measurements are accurate and consistent. Using incorrect units can lead to incorrect results and can cause confusion when comparing data with others. Additionally, using the wrong units can also lead to errors in engineering designs and other applications.