Trying to write falling rod energies as Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the classical expectation that an infinitely sharp pin with all its mass at the top will remain balanced forever, while quantum mechanics predicts it will eventually fall over. The total energy of the pin can be expressed as E = Ap^2 - Bx^2, and an expression for A and B can be found assuming x << H. A Taylor approximation is used to approximate the expression for y, resulting in the term E = (1/2m)p^2 + mgy. The constant term in the expression is not relevant due to the uncertainty of the Hamiltonian up to an additive constant.
masterkenichi
"Consider an infinitely sharp pin of mass M and height H perfectly balanced on its tip. Assume that the mass of the pin is all at the ball on the top of the pin. Classically, we expect the pin to remain in this state forever. Quantum mechanics, however, predicts that the pin will fall over within a finite amount of time. This can be shown as follows:
Show that the total energy of the pin (aka. the Hamiltonian) can be expressed in the
form:
E = Ap^2 − Bx^2
if we assume that x << H. p is the momentum of the pin and x is the lateral displacement of the head of the pin. Find expressions for A and B."

My attempt:
When the pin head moves laterally a distance x, it will have lost some gravitational energy equal to E_g = mg\sqrt{H^2-x^2}.
My first shot at this is to write E = P^2/(2m) + mgy, where y= \sqrt{H^2-x^2}; however, I don't think this can be reduced to the form called for. Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should do a Taylor approximation of the expression y= \sqrt{H^2-x^2}. For x/H << 1, sqrt{H^2-x^2} = H sqrt{1-(x/H)^2} = H (1 - (1/2)(x/H)^2 + ...). The first term is a constant, and the second is the one you need.

Thank you very much for your help, but I'm a little uncertain what you mean by
The first term is a constant, and the second is the one you need.

This approximation results in the term E = (1/2m)p^2 + mgy, where y = H-x^2/{2H}, which I can't write in the form Bx^2. Is the constant term is not relevant?

masterkenichi said:
Thank you very much for your help, but I'm a little uncertain what you mean by

This approximation results in the term E = (1/2m)p^2 + mgy, where y = H-x^2/{2H}, which I can't write in the form Bx^2. Is the constant term is not relevant?

Shouldn't you have:
[tex]\Delta E = \frac{p^2}{2m} + mgy[/tex]
And assuming conservation of Energy:
[tex]\Delta E=0[/tex]

masterkenichi said:

Hamiltonian is always uncertain up to an additive constant (it is because the equations of motion involve only the derivatives of Hamiltonian). Just remember that you are free to choose any point to be reference point and have energy E=0.

Related to Trying to write falling rod energies as Hamiltonian

1. What is the concept behind trying to write falling rod energies as Hamiltonian?

The concept behind trying to write falling rod energies as Hamiltonian is to describe the motion of the falling rod using the principles of Hamiltonian mechanics. This approach allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system and can provide more accurate predictions of its behavior.

2. How is the Hamiltonian approach different from other methods of describing motion?

The Hamiltonian approach is different from other methods of describing motion in that it takes into account the total energy of the system, including both potential and kinetic energy. This allows for a more complete understanding of the system's dynamics.

3. What are the benefits of using the Hamiltonian approach for falling rod energies?

Using the Hamiltonian approach for falling rod energies allows for a more efficient and accurate description of the system. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying physical principles at play.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Hamiltonian approach for falling rod energies?

One limitation of the Hamiltonian approach for falling rod energies is that it assumes a perfectly rigid rod, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. It also requires a thorough understanding of Hamiltonian mechanics, which can be complex.

5. How can the Hamiltonian approach for falling rod energies be applied in practical situations?

The Hamiltonian approach for falling rod energies can be applied in practical situations by using it to predict the motion of a falling rod in various scenarios. This can be useful in fields such as engineering and physics for designing and analyzing structures and systems.