Trying to understand constraint equation from paper by Brink

Summary: In summary, the forum member has a question about equation (4.13) in the paper "A LAGRANGIAN FORMULATION OF THE CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM DYNAMICS OF SPINNING PARTICLES" by Brink, Vecchia and Howe. They are trying to understand the spectrum structure and are wondering why b^{\dagger} is omitted from equation (4.13). After reviewing the paper, it is clarified that b is shorthand notation for \frac{1}{2}(b + b^{\dagger}) and b^{\dagger} is already accounted for in the definition of b. Therefore, its omission in equation (4.13) is not necessary. The forum member is not
chenkr3
I am trying to fully understand the spectrum structure in the paper "A LAGRANGIAN FORMULATION OF THE CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM DYNAMICS OF SPINNING PARTICLES " by Brink, Vecchia and Howe. (I attached the file)
I am having a problem with equation (4.13). It writes [itex]p \cdot b|\psi_{phys}\rangle=0[/itex] but was supposed to be [itex]p \cdot \psi |\psi_{phys}\rangle= p \cdot \frac{1}{2}(b + b^{\dagger})|\psi_{phys}\rangle=0[/itex] by constraint (4.3). Why is the [itex]b^{\dagger}[/itex] omitted from equation (4.13)? Am I missing something in understating how [itex]b^{\dagger}[/itex] acts on the spectrum? Am I missing something with the identification of [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]b^{\dagger}[/itex] as creation and destroying operators?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-0550321377903649-main.pdf
    569.3 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up your question about equation (4.13) in the paper "A LAGRANGIAN FORMULATION OF THE CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM DYNAMICS OF SPINNING PARTICLES" by Brink, Vecchia and Howe. I understand that you are trying to fully understand the spectrum structure in this paper and are having trouble with equation (4.13). I have reviewed the paper and can provide some insights to help clarify this equation.

Firstly, I want to point out that the authors have used a particular notation in their paper where they have defined b as a shorthand notation for \frac{1}{2}(b + b^{\dagger}). This is mentioned in the introduction of the paper where they state that "the operator b is shorthand for the pair (b,b^{\dagger})". Therefore, equation (4.13) can be rewritten as p \cdot b |\psi_{phys}\rangle=0, which is consistent with the constraint (4.3).

Furthermore, in the same section where equation (4.13) appears, the authors have also stated that "b and b^{\dagger} are creation and annihilation operators, respectively, for the physical states". This means that b^{\dagger} acts as the creation operator on the physical states |\psi_{phys}\rangle. Therefore, the inclusion of b^{\dagger} in equation (4.13) is redundant, as it is already taken into account in the definition of b.

In conclusion, you are not missing anything in your understanding of how b and b^{\dagger} act on the spectrum. The authors have used a shorthand notation and the inclusion of b^{\dagger} in equation (4.13) is not necessary. I hope this clarifies your understanding of the spectrum structure in this paper. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Related to Trying to understand constraint equation from paper by Brink

1. What is a constraint equation?

A constraint equation is a mathematical expression that represents a limitation or restriction on a system or process. It is used to describe the relationship between different variables in a system and can be used to solve problems or analyze the behavior of the system.

2. How do constraint equations relate to the paper by Brink?

The paper by Brink discusses the use of constraint equations in the context of quantum mechanics. It specifically focuses on the use of gauge-fixing constraints in the path integral formulation of quantum field theory.

3. What is the significance of understanding constraint equations?

Understanding constraint equations is important in many areas of science and engineering. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, and they provide a mathematical framework for solving problems and making predictions.

4. What are some common applications of constraint equations?

Constraint equations have a wide range of applications, including in physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as particles in motion or chemical reactions. They are also used in optimization problems, where certain variables need to be constrained to achieve a desired outcome.

5. How can I improve my understanding of constraint equations?

To improve your understanding of constraint equations, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. It can also be beneficial to read and study papers, such as the one by Brink, that discuss the use of constraint equations in specific contexts. Additionally, practicing solving problems that involve constraint equations can help to solidify your understanding.