Trying to solve the restricted two-body problem

• I
  • Thread starter tomwilliam2
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the orbit of a test particle under the influence of a potential that has a constant angular momentum. You first use angular momentum conservation to get the equation of motion, then use the symmetry of the Kepler problem to find the Runge-Lenz vector. Finally, you use the equation of motion to find the orbit.
tomwilliam2
I'm just trying to solve the restricted two-body problem mentioned in passing in my textbook:

##\mathbf{\ddot{r}}+\frac{GM}{r^2}\left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)=\mathbf{0}##

I understand the way to do it is to take the cross-product with the constant angular momentum ##\mathbf{h}## then integrate wrt time:

##\mathbf{\dot{r} \times h}= -\frac{GM}{r^2}\int \left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)\mathbf{\times h}\ dt##

But I'm not sure what to do next. Can I use the fact that ##\mathbf{h}=\mathbf{r \times \dot{r}}## to make it:

##\mathbf{\dot{r} \times h}= -\frac{GM}{r^2}\int \left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)\mathbf{\times r \times \dot{r}}\ dt##
Can anyone help?
The answer I'm trying to get to is:
##\mu\left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r} + \mathbf{e}\right)##, where ##\mathbf{e}## is a constant vector of integration and presumably ##\mu## is some constant related to G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

After you manage to use the angular momentum conservation, you need to do variable change from r to u = 1/r.
Also there are many online texts which solve this problem.

BR,
Ohad

Thanks. The problem I'm having is that the cross product of a vector with itself is zero, so I seem to get 0 in the integrand. Actually, I think the ##r^{-2}## term I factored out should also be in there, but that would still give me an integrand of:
##\int \frac{\mathbf{r \times r\times \dot{r}}}{r^3} dt##
Isn't the inside of the integrand then zero?

It's simpler to work with differential equations. Starting from your EoM
$$\ddot{\vec{r}}=-\frac{G M}{r^3} \vec{r},$$
you can very easily derive the conservation of angular momentum (here everything is divided by ##m##, the mass of the "test particle"):
$$\vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}=0.$$
But on the other hand
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (\vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}})=\dot{\vec{r}} \times \dot{\vec{r}} + \vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}=\vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}.$$
Thus you have with ##\vec{h}=\vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}}##
$$\dot{\vec{h}}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{h}=\text{const}.$$
For ##\vec{h} \neq 0## it's clear that the motion is in a plane perpendicular to ##\vec{h}##. The standard way to proceed further is to use the conservation of energy as a 2nd first integral and solve for the orbit ##r=r(\phi)##, where ##r## and ##\phi## are polar coordinates in the plane.

Obviously your textbook follows another very elegant way, using the huge symmetry of the Kepler problem. The point is that for the ##1/r## potential there is an extra symmetry, which leads to another conserved vector, the Runge-Lenz vector in the plane of motion. To derive it we use
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (\dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h})=\ddot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h}=-\frac{GM}{r^3} \vec{r} \times \vec{h} \qquad (*).$$
On the other hand we have
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{\vec{r}}{r} = \frac{r \dot{\vec{r}}-\dot{r} \vec{r}}{r^2}.$$
Now we have (check it!)
$$\dot{\vec{r}} = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \sqrt{\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r}}=\frac{\vec{r} \cdot \dot{\vec{r}}}{r}=-\frac{\vec{r} \times \vec{h}}{r^3}.$$
Multiplying with ##GM## and subtracting from (*) you get
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left [\dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h} - G M \frac{\vec{r}}{r} \right]=0,$$
i.e., the Runge-Lenz vector
$$\vec{e}= \dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h} - G M \frac{\vec{r}}{r}=\text{const} \qquad(**).$$
From this it's very easy to find the shape of the orbit by introducing polar coordinates in the orbital plane with ##\vec{e}## as the polar axis. Multiplying (**) with ##\vec{r}## you get
$$\vec{r} \cdot \vec{e} = r e \cos \varphi.$$
On the other hand from the definition of the Runge-Lenz vector) you have
$$\vec{r} \cdot \vec{e} = \vec{r} \cdot (\dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h})-GM r = (\vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}}) \cdot \vec{h} - G M r =h^2-G M r.$$
Together with the previous equation you find
$$r=\frac{h^2}{GM+e \cos \varphi}=\frac{h^2/(GM)}{1+e/(GM) \cos \varphi}.$$
This is a conic section with the excentricity ##\epsilon=e/(GM)##, i.e., an ellipse for ##0<\epsilon<1##, a circle for ##\epsilon=0##, a parabola for ##\epsilon=1##, and a hyperbola for ##\epsilon>1##.

Likes tomwilliam2
Thanks, that's an awesome answer. I'm going to come back to it to work through properly, and make sure I understand it fully.
Thanks for taking the time out.

Related to Trying to solve the restricted two-body problem

What is the restricted two-body problem?

The restricted two-body problem is a simplified model used in orbital mechanics to describe the motion of two objects, typically a large central body (such as a planet or star) and a smaller orbiting body (such as a satellite or moon). This model assumes that the two bodies are the only objects of significance in the system and that their masses are much larger than any other objects in the vicinity.

What is the significance of the restricted two-body problem?

The restricted two-body problem is significant because it allows scientists to accurately predict and analyze the motion of orbiting bodies in a simplified way. This model is used extensively in space exploration and satellite missions, as well as in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies in our solar system.

What are the assumptions made in the restricted two-body problem?

The restricted two-body problem makes three main assumptions: 1) the two bodies are point masses (have no physical size), 2) the motion of the two bodies is only affected by their mutual gravitational attraction, and 3) the mass of the orbiting body is much smaller than the central body.

What is the difference between the restricted two-body problem and the general two-body problem?

The restricted two-body problem assumes that the mass of the orbiting body is negligible compared to the central body, while the general two-body problem does not have this restriction. This means that the restricted two-body problem is easier to solve and has simpler mathematical equations, but it is not as accurate for systems where the mass of the orbiting body is significant.

How is the restricted two-body problem solved?

The restricted two-body problem is solved using a variety of mathematical techniques, including numerical methods and analytical methods such as the Kepler problem and Lagrange's equations. These methods involve solving for the position, velocity, and acceleration of the orbiting body at any given time in order to accurately predict its motion in relation to the central body.