Trying to power devices in general aviation aircraft

In summary: C" clamps that go around the engine. The belt will have the size stamped on it in inches. Measure the circumference of the belt compared to the pulley on the alternator. If they match then you can go ahead and replace the belt. If not, you will need to find a belt that fits and order it from an online parts supplier.Welcome to the PF.
yipk4
Hello,

Don't know if anyone out there can help, but thought this would be a good place to ask.

I have a small aircraft (piper arrow) that I would like to run a few devices in while traveling.

These devices include a laptop, a GPS puck (GPS18) and custom unit that retains postions received by the GPS puck. The aircraft has a 12v power source (cigarette adapter). I have tried connecting an inverter to the aircrafts power source, then connecting an iGo to the inverter that powers the laptop. The GPS puck is connected a cigarette adapter run from a power supply connected to the inverter.

I am using a Cobra CPI1550 inverter, 1500 watts continuous and 3000 peak. This doesn't seem to be enough power as either the laptop or the GPS lose power. Or is there possibly an issue in wire connections? I am no electrician and this is just a hobby type thing I'm putting together.

Engineering news on Phys.org
yipk4 said:
Hello,

Don't know if anyone out there can help, but thought this would be a good place to ask.

I have a small aircraft (piper arrow) that I would like to run a few devices in while traveling.

These devices include a laptop, a GPS puck (GPS18) and custom unit that retains postions received by the GPS puck. The aircraft has a 12v power source (cigarette adapter). I have tried connecting an inverter to the aircrafts power source, then connecting an iGo to the inverter that powers the laptop. The GPS puck is connected a cigarette adapter run from a power supply connected to the inverter.

I am using a Cobra CPI1550 inverter, 1500 watts continuous and 3000 peak. This doesn't seem to be enough power as either the laptop or the GPS lose power. Or is there possibly an issue in wire connections? I am no electrician and this is just a hobby type thing I'm putting together.

Welcome to the PF.

Why do you need to use a 110Vrms inverter to power those devices? Seems like they should each have a 12Vdc adapter available that can run them off of a car-style plug.

Would the single 12v source in the aircraft power the GPS puck, the iGO for the laptop and another 12v source without overloading it? Sorry if I don't make much sense, I will be the first to admit I don't know much about all of this. Thanks for the help!

I suppose I could get a 1-3 adapter to plug all devices into the 12v aircraft source...I have yet to try that

yipk4 said:
Would the single 12v source in the aircraft power the GPS puck, the iGO for the laptop and another 12v source without overloading it?

If it won't, then connecting it to a 1500W/3000W inverter will ABSOLUTELY not work. The Piper Arrow comes standard with a 60A alternator, this should be sufficient to power your inverter (~30A max), if there is no other load (Lights, radios, etc), but it would be FAR MORE efficient to directly power your devices from the 12V source.

A quick google on the Arrow's charging system suggests many owners have chosen to upgrade their alternators to 75A-100A versions. You might consider this next time the alternator maintenance comes up on your check list.

Fish

Last edited:

Related to Trying to power devices in general aviation aircraft

1. What are the main challenges of powering devices in general aviation aircraft?

The main challenges of powering devices in general aviation aircraft include limited power supply, weight restrictions, and potential interference with aircraft systems.

2. Can I use the same power source for all my devices in a general aviation aircraft?

No, it is important to consider the power requirements of each device and use the appropriate power source to avoid overloading the aircraft's electrical system.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using external power sources for devices in general aviation aircraft?

Yes, external power sources can pose a fire risk if not properly installed and maintained. It is important to follow manufacturer guidelines and regularly inspect and maintain external power sources.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for powering devices in general aviation aircraft?

Yes, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has regulations and guidelines for the installation, use, and maintenance of devices and power sources in general aviation aircraft. It is important to follow these regulations to ensure safety and compliance.

5. Can I use alternative power sources, such as solar panels, in general aviation aircraft?

Yes, some general aviation aircraft may have the capability to use alternative power sources, such as solar panels, for certain devices. However, it is important to check with the aircraft manufacturer and follow FAA regulations before installing and using alternative power sources.