Latin Translation: Que le den por el saco al obispo - Get Help from Experts Now!

• Thread starter zk4586
  • Start date
In summary: Anyway, this conversation is about a bishop who is coming to Europe soon with a big sack, into which he will put children which are not nice to him and take them back to Spain.. does that have anything to do with it??Originally posted by dduardo
zk4586
Someone translate this for me if you will:

Que le den por el saco al obispo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that is not mexican or spanish??

I guess being able to speak spanish is finally paying off.

Que le den - That they give
por el saco - for the sacking
al obispo - to the bishop

Hmm, that's a strange saying? Are you trying to sack a bishop?

Pretty sure it is Spanish, which I don't know how to speak.. all I can make of it is:

que = who/that
le = you
por = because of/for/by
el = the
saco = sack/bag
al = the
obispo = bishop

!?

There IS a bishop coming to Europe soon with a big sack, into which he will put children which are not nice to him and take them back to Spain.. does that have anything to do with it??

Originally posted by dduardo
I guess being able to speak spanish is finally paying off.

Que le den - That they give
por el saco - for the sacking
al obispo - to the bishop

Hmm, that's a strange saying? Are you trying to sack a bishop?
Couldn't you wait ONE minute??

Ha! Shows where my two years of high school Spanish got me. I can't even recognize the language. It's from Graham Greene's, Monsignor Quixote. It's a modern retelling of Cervantes' classic tale. Anyway, the Monsignor goes out on a road trip across Spain with the communist ex-mayor of El Toboso and the two of them get into some trouble. The Bishop becomes angry and gets a priest and a doctor to go and bring back the Monsignor. So, anyway, to wrap up this explanation, the Monsignor, still a little hazy from all the wine he's consumed, wakes up the next morning back in El Toboso, and when the priest and the doctor try to explain why they brought him back, that it was the bishop's idea, Monsignor Quixote mutters that sentence. Everyone in the room, including the Monsignor, is shocked (except the Monsignor's maid, who chuckles) and later the doctor sort of roughly translates it as "bugger the bishop." Thanks all.

This reminds me of an alleged quote by former US VP Dan Quayle:

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."

Don't trust current translation software. They always mess up context. What does coat have to do with sacking anyway?

"That they give by the bag to the bishop."

I can only assume it mean a tithe -- giving money to the church.

- Warren

Originally posted by quartodeciman
This reminds me of an alleged quote by former US VP Dan Quayle:

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."

Well, I hope my post wasn't quite that bad. Dan Quayle. Republicans. [Sigh]

1. Who knows Latin and why is it important?

Latin is a language that was used in ancient Rome and is now considered a dead language. It is important because it has had a significant influence on modern languages such as English, French, Spanish, and Italian. It is also the language of the Catholic Church and is used in many legal, scientific, and academic fields.

2. Is it difficult to learn Latin?

Learning any language requires time and effort, and Latin is no exception. However, because it is a dead language, it does not have any native speakers, making it less complex in terms of pronunciation and colloquial usage. Many people also find that learning Latin can improve their overall understanding of language structure and grammar.

3. Who typically learns Latin?

In the past, Latin was primarily learned by scholars, clergymen, and those in academic fields. However, in recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in learning Latin, and it is now being taught in many high schools and universities. Anyone with an interest in language, history, or literature can benefit from learning Latin.

4. Can I use Latin in everyday life?

While Latin is not commonly spoken in everyday conversations, it can be useful in certain situations. For example, many scientific, medical, and legal terms are derived from Latin, so knowing the language can help in understanding these terms. Additionally, many mottos, phrases, and expressions used in English are derived from Latin, so having a basic understanding can enhance your understanding of these phrases.

5. How can I learn Latin?

There are several ways to learn Latin, including enrolling in a class at a university or community college, hiring a private tutor, or using online resources and self-study programs. It is important to find a method that works best for you and to practice regularly to improve your skills.