Trying to get my head around tangent bundles

In summary, the range of the transform is R^(2n), which is the tangent bundle of the n-1-sphere TS^{n-1}. This is described by all vectors in R^n perpendicular to each plane described by the vector on the unit sphere in R^n.
mikeph
Hello,

Say you have a function f on the domain R^n, and an integral transform P which integrates f over all possible straight lines in R^n. I am lead to believe that the range of this is R^(2n), or a tangent bundle, which I am having MASSIVE problems visualising!

Am I right in saying the tangent bundle can be described by the multiplication of a vector on the unit sphere in R^n with a vector in R^n, ie. all points, then from each point, subtending all angles?

But surely this creates duplication? ie. for n=3, the line passing point (0,0,0) parallel to (1,0,0) must be the same as the line passing through (1,0,0) parallel to (1,0,0). So I am trying to picture a more "efficient" way to specify the range of this transform...

Is it completely described by all vectors in R^n perpendicular to each plane described by the vector on the unit sphere in R^n? How many are there per plane?

SO confused! But intrigued...

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
The set of oriented lines in Rn is isomorphic to the tangent bundle of the n-1-sphere [itex]TS^{n-1}[/itex]. At each point on a tangent plane of the unit sphere there is exactly one line intersecting orthogonally at that point. Choose one orientation of the line, say outwards, and this gives the isomorphism.

Last edited:
Thankyou,

Can I confirm, does isomorphism mean all the lines parallel to that line?

I would think the space which this transform maps to is R^(n-1)^2...

The reason being, each hyperplane in R^n can be described as perpendicular to a point on the unit sphere in R^n, requiring n-1 scalars. And then for each plane you can completely parametrise the perpendicular lines crossing it using R^(n-1), since the plane itself is parametrised this way.

So pick a direction, then pick a point on the plane perpendicular to this, and you get a unique straight line through R^n.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Related to Trying to get my head around tangent bundles

1. What is a tangent bundle?

A tangent bundle is a mathematical concept that describes the collection of all tangent spaces to a manifold. It is a vector bundle that assigns a tangent space to each point on the manifold, and is used to study the behavior of a manifold at different points.

2. How is a tangent bundle useful?

The tangent bundle is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics. It allows us to study the local behavior of a manifold, which is important in understanding the geometry and topology of the space. It also plays a crucial role in differential geometry and the study of smooth manifolds.

3. How is a tangent bundle different from a tangent space?

A tangent space is the collection of all possible tangent vectors at a single point on a manifold. A tangent bundle, on the other hand, is the collection of all tangent spaces at all points on the manifold. While a tangent space is a vector space, a tangent bundle is a vector bundle.

4. Can you give an example of a tangent bundle?

Yes, a common example of a tangent bundle is the tangent bundle of a sphere. The tangent space at each point on the sphere is a plane that is tangent to the surface at that point. The collection of all these tangent planes forms the tangent bundle of the sphere.

5. How is a tangent bundle related to the concept of derivatives?

The tangent bundle is closely related to the concept of derivatives. In fact, the tangent space at a point on a manifold can be thought of as the set of all directional derivatives at that point. The tangent bundle then extends this idea to all points on the manifold, allowing us to study the behavior of the manifold in all directions.