Trying to Find Center of Gravity on Semi Truck (a real one)

In summary, Casey is looking for information on locating the center of gravity on a tractor-trailer truck. She has tried googling various phrases, but is not finding what she is looking for. She is also looking for advice on refining her search.
Saladsamurai
Trying to Find Center of Gravity on Semi Truck (a real one)!

Homework Statement

For one of my classes I have to prove, using very basic physics, that a scene from a movie is very unrealistic. So my group chose the "truck flip scene" from Batman Dark Knight.

I am desperately searching to fond a site that can provide me with the approximate location of the center of gravity of a tractor-trailer truck. I don't care what kind of truck or whether it is filled to capacity or if it's empty...I just need something with a number and possibly a picture.

I have tried googling so many different key phrases that I want to scream. I have tried "center of mass of semi trailer" "center of mass of tractor trailer" "center of gravity of semi trailer" "center of gravity of tractor trailer"

and countless variations.

I know that it is obnoxious to outright ask someone to google it for me, but I could really use some advice on how to refine my search better.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org

My eyes feel like they are going to bleed. Any ideas?

Wow... i am actually doing the exact same thing for my physics summative (grade 12) and need the approximate center of mass as well...

For the other stats on the semi i have:
avg length: 75 feet = 22.86 meters
avg unloaded weight: 14 000 kilograms = 30 864.7167 pounds

Tensile strength of steel (for batman's cables): 1860MPa
Tensile strength of carbon nanotube rope (incase Batman has miraculously advanced this new technology): 62000MPa

What was your estimate on the truck's speed? I was thinking 60 km/h... but I am not too sure on that.

If you only need an approximate value, this state weight inspection link will enable you to calculate that.
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdBOMO.nsf/infoRMCPHeightAndWeight?OpenForm

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Trying to Find Center of Gravity on Semi Truck (a real one)

1. What is the center of gravity on a semi truck?

The center of gravity on a semi truck is the point at which the weight of the truck is evenly distributed in all directions. It is an important factor to consider in order to maintain stability and prevent rollover accidents.

2. How do you find the center of gravity on a semi truck?

To find the center of gravity on a semi truck, you need to use a method called the "tilt test". This involves tilting the truck to one side and measuring the distance from the ground to the center of gravity. This process is repeated on the other side and the center of gravity is calculated using these measurements.

3. Why is it important to know the center of gravity on a semi truck?

Knowing the center of gravity on a semi truck is important for maintaining stability and preventing accidents. If the center of gravity is too high, the truck is more likely to tip over, especially when making sharp turns or driving on uneven terrain. It is also important for determining the maximum load capacity of the truck.

4. How does the center of gravity affect the handling of a semi truck?

The center of gravity plays a crucial role in the handling of a semi truck. A higher center of gravity can make the truck more prone to rollovers, while a lower center of gravity can improve stability and handling. Additionally, the placement of the cargo on the truck can also affect the center of gravity and therefore the handling of the truck.

5. Can the center of gravity on a semi truck change?

Yes, the center of gravity on a semi truck can change depending on the distribution of weight on the truck. Adding or removing cargo, fuel, or other components can shift the center of gravity. It is important to regularly check the center of gravity and make adjustments as needed to ensure safe driving conditions.