Trying to emulate recursive ls command(very new to c)

• Thread starter FYAD
  • Start date
In summary: Alternatively, you might consider using stdlib.h.In summary, your program is trying to read from a directory, but isn't succeeding because dp is either not set correctly or is global and gets clobbered. You might try using a loop or stdlib.h.
FYAD
I'm very new to programming in c, and I'm trying to write a program that recursivley lists all the files in a directory, as well as all of the subdirectores and their files. I'm having some problems.

On my first go I was able to get all of the files of the current directory to be listed. That was easy. I'm having trouble getting my program to jump into all of the subdirectories and then get back to the original directory and list its files. My code seems to jump into the first subdirectory and list its files, but it ends with a Segmentation fault. I googled the error and found out what it means, but I have no idea how to go about remedying it.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/times.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <dirent.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int x = 0;
struct dirent *dp;

void listit(DIR *dirp,DIR *tdirp,int level){
  errno = 0;
  if (!(dp = readdir(dirp))) {
    if (errno == 0) {
      printf("porblem\n");
    } 
    else {
      printf("Error reading entry in directory\n");
      return;
    } 
  } 
  else {
    tdirp = (opendir(dp->d_name));
    if(tdirp){
      if(!((strcmp(dp->d_name,".")) == 0 || strcmp(dp->d_name,"..") == 0)){
	printf("-----------NEW DIRECTORY--------------\n");
	printf(" %s\n",dp-> d_name);
	dirp = opendir(dp->d_name);
	listit(dirp,tdirp,level);
       }
       else{
	 printf("%s\n",dp->d_name);
       }
    }
    printf("%s\n",dp->d_name);
  }
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
   struct timeval t;
   int i, status = 0;
   int count = 0;
   int level = 0;
   DIR *dirp;
   DIR *tdirp;
   dirp = opendir(argv[1]);

if (argc < 2) { exit(-1); }

if ((status = gettimeofday(&t,0)) != 0) {
      printf("Error - time call failed\n");
   }

if (!dirp) {
      if (access(argv[1],F_OK)) {
         printf("Error - couldn't interpret %s as directory.\n", argv[1]);
         printf("----------------------------------\n\n");
      }
      else {
         printf("%s\n", argv[1]);
         printf("----------------------------------\n\n");
      }
   }
   else {
      printf("Contents of directory %s:\n", argv[1]);

}
}

Technology news on Phys.org
The c compiler is complaining because there is a 'porblem' in your code. (Just kidding.)

I don't see anything particularly obvious. I'm guessing that dp gets clobbered somwhere. Are you sure it should be global?

Nate's got it. It's a very bad idea for a recursive function to use globals, by the way.

- Warren

If you can include stdlib.h then you can simply do this:

system("ls -R")

dduardo said:
If you can include stdlib.h then you can simply do this:

system("ls -R")

That wouldn't exactly be emulating ls now, would it?

I changed dp to a local and passed it into listit. Directores still aren't getting read though?

Maybe my understanding of what's going on is incorrect.

In my main method I have dirp = opendir(argv[1]);, which reads in a directory name from the command line and attempts to open the directory.

If dirp is a valid directory name, it opens the directory and then passes the name up to function listit.

In listit, it checks to see if there are files in the directory ( the line if (!(dp = readdir(dirp))) { ), if so, it goes to the else where tdirp reads in the first file in the directory and checks if it is a sub-directory.

If it is a directory, it checks to see if the directory is "." or "..". If it is not, it prints the directory name and opens it, followed by a recursive call to listit. So, listit gets called with the new directory name and the whole thing starts over.

If it's "." or "..", it calls listit again. dp is set to the next file in the directory and it starts again.

If it's not a directory, it's a file, and the file name is printed. listit is called and the whole thing starts over.

Except new directories are never entered. gah!

Hi:
if (!(dp = readdir(dirp)))

shouldn't this be:
if (!(dp == readdir(dirp)))?

You might consider using a loop in listit() to process each "current" directory, then recursively calling listit() for each sub-directory encountered. You already mentioned changing dp to be a local variable. I don't understand why you pass dirp or tdirp or level as parameters, as dirp also needs to be a local variable. The only thing you need to pass to listit() is the name string for the directory. Then the local copy of dirp gets the result from doing an opendir(...name...).

Another alternative is to have two loops in listit(). The first loop processes all files, the second loop processes all directories (via recursive calls). This keeps all the files in a directory adjacent to each other the list.

If you didn't find the solution yet.
when you find new directory you have to call.

chdir(dir); in order to enter il.

Related to Trying to emulate recursive ls command(very new to c)

1. What is a recursive ls command?

A recursive ls command is a feature of the command line interface that allows you to list all files and directories within a specific directory, including those within subdirectories. This is useful for seeing the full file structure of a directory and its subdirectories.

2. How do I use the recursive ls command in C?

To use the recursive ls command in C, you will need to use the opendir(), readdir(), and closedir() functions from the dirent.h library. These functions allow you to open a directory, read its contents, and close the directory once you are done. You will also need to use recursion to traverse through subdirectories.

3. What are the benefits of using recursion for the ls command?

The main benefit of using recursion for the ls command is that it allows you to easily list all files and directories within a given directory, regardless of the complexity of its subdirectory structure. This makes it a more efficient and flexible solution compared to using iterative approaches.

4. Is it difficult to implement the recursive ls command in C?

Implementing the recursive ls command in C may be challenging for those who are new to the language or programming in general. However, with a good understanding of recursion and the necessary C functions, it is possible to successfully implement the command.

5. Are there any limitations to using the recursive ls command in C?

One limitation of using the recursive ls command in C is that it may not be the most efficient solution for large or complex directory structures. Additionally, using recursion can also lead to potential stack overflow errors if not implemented properly.