Trying to emulate Inductance with gyrator

• Thread starter Volts-N-Codes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, the inductance module measures a response to a known signal and the goal is to replicate it using a gyrator circuit. The response is inductor-like over a limited range of frequencies and the gyrator will only emulate the inductor well at low frequencies and low (small signal) levels.
Volts-N-Codes
Hello All,

I am working on a project where I am trying to replicate the behavior of a particular inductance module used on an automobile. It is a simple component that receives a signal from a control unit and the response is sent back via ground. The attached PNG file shows the setup, it is very simple. The signal is received at the positive terminal from a control unit and the response is read by the control unit at the negative terminal.

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/2072/99268116.png I have measured the response of this component using an oscilloscope and the files are attached below. I have read about convolution of signals and replicating a particular response based on it's response to a known signal but I am still somewhat confused on where to begin. One issue that I have is that I do not know what signal the module receives when it is being used in it's desired setting ( on a vehicle ) I believe that it receives a PWM signal from a control module but unfortunately I have not been able to measure the output signal from the vehicle.My ultimate goal is to produce a the same response using a gyrator circuit as opposed to the bulky inductance module. I have taken a module apart and it is just wound copper wire in a metal enclosure, my plan of attack at the moment is to model various circuits in LTSpice and try to produce a similar response. From what I can tell from the measurements that I made it looks like it is simply producing a steady voltage for the module to read...

Response collected from the module on the bench...I wanted to read it's response using various input signals since I do not know the exact signal that it receives when plugged into the vehicle.

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/1385/tek00015.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/1148/tek00010.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/5586/tek00000.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/3377/tek00001.png
Again I apologize if this seems trivial or a stupid question, I just wanted to know how other engineers would tackle this project, and and all comments welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are getting exactly what you'd expect for the voltage step-response of an inductor or strictly an RL.

The two issues you will see are:

1. The response is inductor-like over a limited range of frequencies (strictly this is true of real inductors as well due to parasitics but an op-amp gyrator can have more limited frequency response range depending on the real life inductor you are emulating).

2. The response will be limited to the range of inputs voltage/current levels the op amp can respond to. Related to 1. Outside this range the gyrator will look distinctly not-inductor-like.

Gyrators tend to only emulate inductors well at low frequencies and low (small signal) levels. This is part of why you usually see them in active filter circuits and small signal amplifier broad banding (strictly not with op amps but with emitter inputs).

Ok, thank you! So the next step would be to determing the input signal that it is receiving as I have honly been able to speculate thus far. Also, what would you consider to be a low frequency? Thank you for the help!

Related to Trying to emulate Inductance with gyrator

1. What is a gyrator?

A gyrator is an electronic circuit component that mimics the behavior of an inductor by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and operational amplifiers. It is used in circuits where a physical inductor cannot be used, such as high-frequency applications or in compact electronic devices.

2. How does a gyrator work?

A gyrator works by using negative feedback to manipulate the input and output signals. The circuit design causes the input signal to be inverted and amplified, which creates an output signal that behaves like an inductor. By adjusting the values of the components, the gyrator can emulate different inductance values.

3. What are the advantages of using a gyrator over a traditional inductor?

There are several advantages of using a gyrator over a traditional inductor. First, it is much smaller and can be integrated into a circuit more easily. It also has a wider frequency range and can operate at higher frequencies than a physical inductor. Additionally, a gyrator has lower losses and can be more precise in emulating inductance values.

4. Are there any limitations to using a gyrator?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a gyrator. One limitation is that it cannot handle high power levels like a physical inductor can. It also has a limited range of inductance values that it can emulate, typically up to a few hundred millihenries. Finally, a gyrator may introduce noise into the circuit, which can affect the overall performance.

5. In what applications are gyrators commonly used?

Gyrators are commonly used in high-frequency circuits, such as radio frequency (RF) amplifiers, filters, and oscillators. They are also used in audio circuits, such as equalizers and tone control circuits. Additionally, gyrators can be found in electronic devices that require compact and lightweight components, such as smartphones and laptops.