Trying to do a non-rigorous direct proof

In summary, the conversation is about proving that an integer x is a prime number if it does not consist of any prime factors that are less than or equal to its square root. The proof provided uses the fact that the product of two numbers greater than the square root of x will always be greater than x, thus proving x must be prime. This is considered a non-rigorous direct proof, as it lacks a proper statement and does not consider the possibility of 1 being a counter-example.
ull
Statements:
x is an integer
x is a prime number if x doesn't consist of any prime factors ≤√x

Proof:
Since (√x + 1) * (√x + 1) > √x * √x
x must be a prime

Questions:

Whould you consider this a non-rigorous direct proof?
If not, what does it lack?
Is this a good approach trying to prove it?

The proof was meant to be like this:

Since √(x + 1) * √(x + 1) > √x * √x
x must be a prime

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Recall that every integer >1 has a (unique) prime factorization. Now, suppose that ##x## is not prime, and further has no prime factor ##p_1 \leq \sqrt{x}## (so that ##p_1 > \sqrt{x}##); then ##x## has factorization ##x = p_1?##. What possible values can ##?## take? (Hint: what happens if ##? > \sqrt{x}##)

Likes 1 person
Please don't post any more clues just jet I am trying to figure it out it :):)
I don't know if this translates very well, but: "I´m going to sleep on it " ;)

Last edited:
I know you said no more hints, but this hint is just too useful not to suggest.

Hint: write the smallest divisor (not counting 1 of course) as ##\sqrt{x} + ε##.

Hmm, I wonder if this counts as a direct proof, probably not.

Likes 1 person
It is always a good idea to start with a proper statement of what it is you are trying to prove.

"For all positive integer x, if x has no prime factors less than or equal to its square root then x is prime"

One problem with this formulation is that it is false. The positive integer 1 is a counter-example.

Likes 1 person

Related to Trying to do a non-rigorous direct proof

1. What is a non-rigorous direct proof?

A non-rigorous direct proof is a method used in mathematics to prove a statement or theorem by directly showing its truth without using any complex or rigorous mathematical techniques. It relies on logical reasoning and intuition rather than formal and precise mathematical language.

2. When should I use a non-rigorous direct proof?

A non-rigorous direct proof is often used in situations where a formal or rigorous proof may be too complex or difficult to understand. It is also commonly used in introductory mathematics courses to help students develop their logical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the steps for creating a non-rigorous direct proof?

The steps for creating a non-rigorous direct proof are as follows: 1. Clearly state the statement or theorem you want to prove.2. Use logical reasoning and intuition to come up with a simple and straightforward argument for why the statement is true.3. Use clear and concise language to explain your reasoning.4. Identify any potential flaws or counterexamples in your argument and address them.5. Conclude your proof by restating the original statement and explaining why it has been proven.

4. What are the advantages of using a non-rigorous direct proof?

One of the main advantages of using a non-rigorous direct proof is that it can be easier to understand and follow compared to a formal or rigorous proof. It also allows for more creativity and intuition in the proof-writing process, which can be helpful in solving complex problems. Additionally, non-rigorous direct proofs can serve as a stepping stone to more advanced and rigorous mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using a non-rigorous direct proof?

While non-rigorous direct proofs can be useful in certain situations, they are not always appropriate. They may not hold up under close scrutiny or in more advanced mathematical contexts. It is also important to note that a non-rigorous direct proof may not be convincing enough for some mathematicians or in formal mathematical settings. Therefore, it is important to use this method carefully and always strive for more rigorous proofs when possible.