Trying to derive the rotational acceleration.

In summary, the two equations given in the book are a good place to start when trying to derive centripetal acceleration.
PhillipKP

Homework Statement

Ok I'm trying to derive [tex]a=v^2/r[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Boas book gives me two equations to start off with:

[tex]r^2=\vec{r}*\vec{r}+constant[/tex]

and

[tex]v^2=\vec{v}*\vec{v}+constant[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Where the hell did those equations come from. I know it gives me the right answer but I don't understand. I can actually do the rest of the derivation easily.

Thanks

As a grad student I am embarressed I don't know this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you more fully quote the Boas passage?

I'm no help on those equations, but can you see how to derive the centripital acceleration just from the nature of the circular motion, and using differentiation?

Are you sure it is [tex]r ^ 2 = \vec{r} . \vec{r} + \mbox{constant}[/tex]?

It doesn't seem true. =.="

We have:
[tex]\vec{r} . \vec{r} = |\vec{r} | \times |\vec{r} | \times \cos ( \vec{r}, \vec{r}) = r ^ 2[/tex].

Well, so it's either the constant is 0, or there is no need to write constant here.

The question says to first expand the rght side of

[tex]\vec{a} = \vec{\omega} \times \left( \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} \right),[/tex]

and then to assume that [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\vec{\omega}.[/itex]

What do you get when you do the first step?

PhillipKP said:

Homework Statement

Ok I'm trying to derive [tex]a=v^2/r[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Boas book gives me two equations to start off with:

[tex]r^2=\vec{r}*\vec{r}+constant[/tex]

and

[tex]v^2=\vec{v}*\vec{v}+constant[/tex]
Sorry I had a typo in the first one. Here's the complete passage.

Consider the motion of a particle in a circle at constant speed. We can then write

[tex]r^2=\vec{r}*\vec{r}=constant[/tex]

and

[tex]v^2=\vec{v}*\vec{v}=constant[/tex]

If we differentiate these two equations using (the rules for differentiating a dot product), we get...

The context: Chapter 6.4 Differentiation of Vectors.

Last edited:
Don't you want to use plane polar coordinates?

Anyway, with the way you (i.e. Boas) are doing it, the problem is that you don't really understand why the two equations are chosen? The answer is simply that it is a good place to start, and how you know how to start there comes from a experience and thought. There are many ways to derive centripetal acceleration, and you do not have to start with
[tex]r \cdot r = c_1[/tex]
and
[tex]v \cdot v = c_2[/tex].

Since you are a bit confused, I urge you to derive centripetal acceleration another way. Calc 3 methods can do it very easily, or plane polar.

I can derive it other ways, but I want to understand where this is coming from.

PhillipKP said:
I can derive it other ways, but I want to understand where this is coming from.

Constant speed ( [tex]\vec v\cdot \vec v = const[/tex] , where [tex]const[/tex] is independent of time ) in a circle [of constant radius ( [tex]\vec r\cdot \vec r = const_2[/tex] , where [tex]const_2[/tex] is independent of time ).

By taking derivatives with respect to t, you obtain [geometrical] relations between the acceleration, [constant speed] velocity, and the radius of the circle.

Related to Trying to derive the rotational acceleration.

1. What is rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is the rate of change of rotational velocity, or how quickly an object is rotating.

2. How is rotational acceleration calculated?

To calculate rotational acceleration, you need to know the change in angular velocity and the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula is: rotational acceleration = change in angular velocity / time.

3. What is the difference between linear and rotational acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in speed or velocity of an object moving in a straight line, while rotational acceleration refers to the change in angular velocity of an object rotating around a fixed axis.

4. What factors affect rotational acceleration?

The factors that affect rotational acceleration include the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied torque or force.

5. How is rotational acceleration used in real life?

Rotational acceleration is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of engines and turbines, the analysis of sports movements, and the study of celestial bodies in astronomy. It is also important in understanding the dynamics of rotating machinery and vehicles.