Trying to cut a parabolic shape in sheet metal

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of achieving a parabolic cut in sheet metal using a numerically-controlled cutting machine due to the thickness of the router blade and the fact that it always cuts at a point that is normal to the cutting path. The solution involves programming the router to cut along an arc parallel to the parabolic shape and calculating points on the outer parabola to create a more accurate cut.
JoMo
Hi,

I am trying to cut a parabolic curve in a piece of sheet metal using a numerically-controlled cutting machine (basically a very hard rotating router blade). The router blade is 10mm diameter. I want to achieve a parabolic cut in the sheet metal that adheres to the formula y=x^2

The trouble is, if I cause the axis of the 10mm router blade to travel along a parabolic path with formula y=x^2 I do not get the resulting top and bottom cuts to be parabolas that conform exactly to the formula y=x^2 This is due to the thickness of the router blade and the fact that it always cuts at a point that is normal to the parabolic path that the axis of the rotating blade is traveling along. I guess that if my router blade was of infinitesimally small diameter, I would then get a faithful cut in the metal that conforms to y=x^2

Can anyone please tell me the parabolic formula that the axis of a router blade of certain thickness would need to travel along to produce a parabolic cut that conforms to the formula y=x^2

Thanks,

Joe.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the router blade and the fact that it always cuts at a point that is normal to the parabolic path that the axis of the rotating blade is traveling along
You cannot have a point normal to a curve - only a line, a line-segment, or a vector.
Do you mean that the cut is made some distance from the axis?
i.e. if you put the axis at (x,y) the cut appears at point (x+a,y+b)?

You can correct for the thickness of the cut by running the blade so one edge of the cut conforms to the y=x^2 formula. That means one side won't have the exact relationship.

You need to program the router so that the center of the bit is traveling along an arc that is "parallel" to the parabolic shape you're trying to cut. Since you're cutting a parabola whose equation is y = x2, the vertex of the cutting path will be at (0, -5) in mm. The 5 mm represents the radius of the router bit.

You can calculate another point on the outer parabola by taking a point on the inner parabola, finding the slope of the tangent line at that point, and moving outward 5mm along the perpendicular to that tangent line to get the coordinates of the corresponding point on the outer parabola.

If the coordinates of this point are (xo, yo) another point on the outer parabola will be at (-xo, yo) by symmetry.

From these three points you can derive the equation of the outer parabola, and presumably program the router so that the center of the bit travels along that path.

Caveat: I'm not sure that what I'm calling the "outer parabola" is actually a parabola, but if the 10 mm kerf is relatively small in relation to the dimensions of the parabola, the cut edge should be pretty close to what you want.

Hello Joe,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. Cutting a parabolic curve in sheet metal can be a challenging task, especially when using a numerically-controlled cutting machine. As you have rightly observed, the thickness of the router blade and its cutting angle can affect the accuracy of the resulting parabolic cut.

To achieve a parabolic cut that conforms to the formula y=x^2, the axis of the router blade would need to travel along a slightly modified parabolic path. This modified path would take into account the thickness of the router blade and the angle at which it cuts the sheet metal. The formula for this path is y=(x^2)+((t^2)/(4x)), where t is the thickness of the router blade.

However, please keep in mind that this formula will only provide an approximation of the desired parabolic cut. Achieving a perfect parabolic cut may require some trial and error, as factors such as the speed and angle of the cutting machine can also affect the final result. Additionally, the material and thickness of the sheet metal can also play a role in the accuracy of the cut.

I hope this information helps with your project. Best of luck with your parabolic cutting!

Sincerely,

Related to Trying to cut a parabolic shape in sheet metal

What is a parabolic shape and why is it difficult to cut in sheet metal?

A parabolic shape is a three-dimensional curve that is symmetrical and resembles the shape of a parabola. It is difficult to cut in sheet metal because it requires precise and accurate cuts to maintain the shape and curvature of the parabola.

What are the tools and techniques used to cut a parabolic shape in sheet metal?

The most common tools used to cut a parabolic shape in sheet metal are shears, laser cutters, and water jet cutters. Techniques such as tracing, marking, and measuring the curve are also essential for achieving the desired shape.

What are the key factors to consider when cutting a parabolic shape in sheet metal?

The key factors to consider when cutting a parabolic shape in sheet metal are the dimensions, thickness, and type of sheet metal, as well as the desired precision and accuracy of the cut. It is also important to consider the capabilities and limitations of the tools and techniques being used.

Are there any challenges or difficulties that may arise when cutting a parabolic shape in sheet metal?

Yes, there are several challenges that may arise when cutting a parabolic shape in sheet metal. These include maintaining the curvature of the parabola, avoiding warping or distortion of the metal, and achieving a smooth and clean cut without any jagged edges or burrs.

What are some tips for successfully cutting a parabolic shape in sheet metal?

Some tips for successfully cutting a parabolic shape in sheet metal include using a template or guide to ensure accuracy, taking breaks to prevent fatigue and maintain focus, and practicing on scrap metal before cutting the final piece. It is also important to use the appropriate safety equipment and follow proper cutting techniques.