Trying To COnvert inherited code to F90

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with allocating arrays in a FORTRAN90 code. The code works when used in the main program, but causes segmentation faults when used in a subroutine. It is suspected that the issue may be caused by a mismatch in the variable declarations between the main program and the subroutine. The need for consistency in variable declarations is emphasized and it is suggested to double check the declarations in both the main program and the subroutine. It is also mentioned that Fortran passes variables by reference, which may lead to issues if the variable types do not match up.
mzottola
I have least squares code which I am trying to rewrite in FORTRAN90.
I have a pair of allocatable arrays declared in MAIN. I pass those unallocated
arrays to a subroutine where the arrays are allocated and data is assigned.
However, I get segmentation faults every time I try to run this section of code.

The salient pieces of code are:
(from MAIN)
IMPLICIT NONE
REAL, ALLOCATABLE, DIMENSION(:) :: X,Y
CALL GETDATA(X,Y,N)
SUBROUTINE GETDATA(X,Y,N)
REAL, ALLOCATABLE, DIMENSION(:) :: X,Y
...(read in values from file - this works)
ALLOCATE(X(N), Y(N))
!N has been determined earlier - and the value is correct.

When I hit the allocate statement, the program dies. This code should work and I am unsure why it is not. If I do this in main I have no problem. But I do not understand why passing values via a subroutine causes problems.

Any ideas why this code may not work would be appreciated.

THanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
You use IMPLICIT NONE so, presumably, N is declared somewhere - and also in the subroutine?
I don't know the more 'recent' versions of Fortran but I do know it does not look after you with arrays and data types like the more modern languages.
Sorry if that is too trivial an answer but I don't know your level of familiarity with Fortran.

Sophie,

I do declare N as an integer in the subroutines. Since I can use subroutines to communicate with MAIN I did not think it necessary to declare it in the MAIN. I would say I have a reasonable experience base with FORTRAN90, though I do not consider myself a world-class developer, just a competent coder.

If you have further remarks, please do drop them. Since the problem occurs in the subroutine, I am not sure declaring N in the MAIN will have any effect.

mzottola said:
Sophie,

I do declare N as an integer in the subroutines. Since I can use subroutines to communicate with MAIN I did not think it necessary to declare it in the MAIN. I would say I have a reasonable experience base with FORTRAN90, though I do not consider myself a world-class developer, just a competent coder.

If you have further remarks, please do drop them. Since the problem occurs in the subroutine, I am not sure declaring N in the MAIN will have any effect.

Since you pass N to the subroutine from a CALL statement in the Main Program, all of the arguments for the subroutine must be declared the same type in both the Main Program and the subroutine itself. If N is declared as INTEGER in the sub, it must also be declared as N in the Main Program, otherwise the data will not align properly, which might be why you're getting segment faults during execution.

SteamKing said:
Since you pass N to the subroutine from a CALL statement in the Main Program, all of the arguments for the subroutine must be declared the same type in both the Main Program and the subroutine itself. If N is declared as INTEGER in the sub, it must also be declared as N in the Main Program, otherwise the data will not align properly, which might be why you're getting segment faults during execution.

I remember hearing all sorts of things about how Fortran can let you break the rules. Belt and braces would be my motto.
When Fortran started life, they had very little speed or memory and there was no time to look after the user. You could even change a constant (eg 1) into another (eg 2) on the way through a subroutine.

sophiecentaur said:
I remember hearing all sorts of things about how Fortran can let you break the rules. Belt and braces would be my motto.
When Fortran started life, they had very little speed or memory and there was no time to look after the user. You could even change a constant (eg 1) into another (eg 2) on the way through a subroutine.

Whatever. That may have been then, but we are dealing with the here and now.

The variables passed by the Fortran main program to the subroutine and back again are passed by reference, not by value, as in other languages. If the variables in the subroutine definition don't match up with the variables in the CALL statement, then the program may stray into a portion of the memory where it doesn't belong.

All the OP has to do is make sure his variable type declaration statements in the main program and the subroutines match up. This shouldn't be an insurmountable task.

I'm surprised the OP didn't get a compile error, or at least a warning that N was not declared in main, given the IMPLICIT NONE statement.

In gfortran, trying to compile
Code:
program mainprog
implicit none
real x,y
call sub(x,y,n)
end
gave me the error I expect to see:
Code:
call sub(x,y,n)
Error: Symbol 'n' at (1) has no IMPLICIT type

SteamKing said:
Whatever. That may have been then, but we are dealing with the here and now.

The variables passed by the Fortran main program to the subroutine and back again are passed by reference, not by value, as in other languages.
Which is precisely how the constant 1 can become changed into a 2. The system was efficient in its use of memory, using that method but it could easily allow the overlaying of two different data types on the same memory location. A constant, written in the code is / was treated as a variable, called 1, with value 1 and it could be read or written to as if it were any other data type. That could not happen if the Implicit None statement were used.

If there was not a compile error reported then it seems the same thing can still happen. I am surprised, though. Perhaps the actual problem is not in the code we have been shown and there is something more subtle at work. It wouldn't be the first time.

The irony of showing partial code is that it is already filtered out by the OPs perception of where the problem is...which is a bad idea as, clearly, the OP does not know exactly where the problem is; otherwise, s/he wouldn't be asking for help.

Please show the entire source code and enclose it with CODE tags (first "go advance" and then click on the icon with the # symbol, then paste the code in between tags).

sophiecentaur said:
Which is precisely how the constant 1 can become changed into a 2.
Unless the OP is using an ancient computer or compiler, that is history. These days constants are stored in read-only memory, so you can't overwrite them (but you can crash your program if you try).

That could not happen if the Implicit None statement were used.
Implicit None didn't prevent overwriting constants.

FWIW in Fortran 90 you can declare "interfaces" to functions and subroutines, so that the compiler can do full type checking on the arguments. You can explicitly declare that arguments are for input, output, or both, which generate compile-time errors if you break your own rules.

AlephZero said:
Unless the OP is using an ancient computer or compiler, that is history. These days constants are stored in read-only memory, so you can't overwrite them (but you can crash your program if you try).

Implicit None didn't prevent overwriting constants.

FWIW in Fortran 90 you can declare "interfaces" to functions and subroutines, so that the compiler can do full type checking on the arguments. You can explicitly declare that arguments are for input, output, or both, which generate compile-time errors if you break your own rules.

DO you really mean ROM? How would that work? - you would need to store a lot of them! But you probably mean something else.

Yes, I totally agree. I was just showing how wide open Fortran used to be. I wonder why anyone would want to be working in Fortran these days - except for legacy stuff.

sophiecentaur said:
DO you really mean ROM?

Modern computer operating systems have the capability of enforcing that areas of memory are read-only to a particular program. When you compile and link the program, the linker creates several "segments" containing different types of data with different access options. When you load and run the program, the OS sets up the "read-only" data in RAM and then denies the program the option to write to it.

Apart from killing a few old Fortran bugs, this is also useful as a security measure. Malware is also interested in overwriting bits of your program if it gets the opportunity.

Are you reading the data into X and Y or into another storage space? Are X and Y allocated before the data is stored into them?

It look like the allocate in the subroutine requires a SAVE attribute if you want X and Y to remain valid when the program leaves the subroutine.

I seem to remember COMMON and EQUIVALENCE commands, too.

Related to Trying To COnvert inherited code to F90

What is the process for converting inherited code to F90?

The process for converting inherited code to F90 involves understanding the original code, identifying any language-specific features or syntax, and rewriting the code using the appropriate F90 syntax. This may also involve updating any outdated or deprecated functions or commands.

What are some common challenges when converting inherited code to F90?

Some common challenges when converting inherited code to F90 include dealing with differences in syntax and language features, debugging any errors that may arise, and ensuring that the converted code performs as expected.

Are there any tools or resources available to assist with converting inherited code to F90?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to assist with converting inherited code to F90. These include code conversion programs, documentation and tutorials on F90 syntax, and forums or communities where experienced F90 programmers can provide guidance and support.

Can any code be converted to F90, or are there limitations?

In most cases, any code can be converted to F90. However, there may be limitations if the original code relies on certain language-specific features or functions that are not supported in F90. It is important to carefully review the code and make any necessary modifications before attempting to convert it.

What are the benefits of converting inherited code to F90?

Converting inherited code to F90 can bring several benefits, including improved performance and efficiency, better compatibility with modern systems and programming languages, and easier maintenance and troubleshooting in the future.