Trying to cancel units out for velocity of transverse wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between velocity (v) and force of tension (Nt) divided by mass density (kg/m^3). The units cancel out, with the help of cross multiplication, resulting in the equation sqrt(m^4/s^2) = m^2/s. The key clarification made is that the mass density needed is linear mass density, which is equal to the mass density multiplied by its cross-sectional area. This understanding resolves previous confusion.
ichivictus
Not a specific question, but I just need help understanding how units cancel out.

v = sqrt(force of tension / mass density)

Force of tension is in Newtons. Mass density is in kg/m^3

Nt/ (kg/m^3) = (kg*m/s^2)/(kg/m^3) =(I cross multiply here) (kg*m*m^3)/(s^2*kg)

kg cancels out. Remember it is the sqrt of it all.

sqrt(m^4/s^2) = m^2/s

This does not equal m/s. Is there something I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
ichivictus said:
Not a specific question, but I just need help understanding how units cancel out.

v = sqrt(force of tension / mass density)

Force of tension is in Newtons. Mass density is in kg/m^3

Nt/ (kg/m^3) = (kg*m/s^2)/(kg/m^3) =(I cross multiply here) (kg*m*m^3)/(s^2*kg)

kg cancels out. Remember it is the sqrt of it all.

sqrt(m^4/s^2) = m^2/s

This does not equal m/s. Is there something I am missing?
The mass density needed here is linear mass density: mass per unit length.

Ah thanks. Then this must mean the linear mass density is equal to the mass density times its cross-sectional area. This clears up lots of confusion!

Related to Trying to cancel units out for velocity of transverse wave

1. What is the equation for the velocity of a transverse wave?

The equation for the velocity of a transverse wave is v = λf, where v is the velocity, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

2. How do I cancel out units for velocity of a transverse wave?

You can cancel out units by using the equation v = λf and ensuring that the units for wavelength and frequency are consistent. For example, if the wavelength is given in meters (m) and the frequency is given in hertz (Hz), then the resulting units for velocity will be meters per second (m/s).

3. Why is it important to cancel out units for velocity of a transverse wave?

Canceling out units ensures that the resulting value for velocity is in the correct units and can be easily compared to other values. It also helps to avoid errors in calculations.

4. Can I use any units for wavelength and frequency when calculating the velocity of a transverse wave?

Yes, as long as the units for wavelength and frequency are consistent, the resulting units for velocity will also be consistent. Common units for wavelength include meters (m), centimeters (cm), and nanometers (nm), while common units for frequency include hertz (Hz), kilohertz (kHz), and megahertz (MHz).

5. How do I know if my calculation for the velocity of a transverse wave is correct?

You can check your calculation by comparing the resulting value for velocity to known values or by using the equation v = λf to solve for a different variable. It is also important to double check that your units are consistent and that you have used the correct formula for calculating velocity.