Trying to calculate how <r> in the Hydrogen atom changes with time

In summary: I'm not sure what it could be.Dear folks, at the risk of making a fool of myself: if you are interested in r, why work in Cartesian coordinates? (moot question, I would say, except for the appearance of ##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}\ ## which makes me worry).Then: if you wonder about ##\frac{d<r>}{dt}\,## : that 's got little to do with "some equivalent of velocity". Only with the radius. Interesting for radiative transitions and so on, but I don't think you'll be able to work towards a connection with
user3
I am working on the Hydrogen atom and I was trying to calculate [tex]\frac{d<r>}{dt}[/tex] using [tex]\frac{d<r>}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar} <[\hat{H} , \hat{r}]>[/tex]. Here [tex]r = \sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)[/tex] and [tex]H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + V[/tex] where [tex]p^2 = -\hbar^2 \nabla^2 [/tex]. Now according to Ehrenfest's theorem <r> should behave classically and give me some equivalent of velocity, and indeed I do get something but it does't resemble velocity: [tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} (2\nabla r \nabla f + f \nabla^2 r)[/tex]

where f is a test function.

Steps:
[tex][H ,r]f = [\frac{p^2}{2m} + V , r]f = \frac{p^2(rf)}{2m} + Vrf - \frac{rp^2(f)}{2m} - rVf = \frac{1}{2m}[p^2 ,r]f = \frac{1}{2m}[-\hbar^2\nabla^2 , r]f = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}[\nabla^2 , r]f [/tex] [tex]= \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} (\nabla^2(rf) - r\nabla^2(f)) = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} (\nabla r\nabla f + r\nabla^2f + \nabla f \nabla r + f\nabla^2 r - r\nabla^2f) = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} (2\nabla r \nabla f + f \nabla^2 r) [/tex]

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no f and it's the operator ##[\hat{H},\hat{r}]## . You can multiply with i/##\hbar##, calculate ##\nabla r## and try to find ##\hat{p}##. There is a term I must think where it comes from(perhaps symetrisation of the product of classical observables that do not commute in the quantum world)
And remember ##r=\|\vec{r}\|## so classically ##\frac{dr}{dt}=...##

Last edited:
user3, might you show your work so we can check it?

just added the steps

Dear folks, at the risk of making a fool of myself: if you are interested in r, why work in Cartesian coordinates? (moot question, I would say, except for the appearance of ##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}\ ## which makes me worry).

Then: if you wonder about ##\frac{d<r>}{dt}\,## : that 's got little to do with "some equivalent of velocity". Only with the radius. Interesting for radiative transitions and so on, but I don't think you'll be able to work towards a connection with the classical case there ...

For a central force problem (usually treated before the H atom), most textbooks manage to reduce the problem of solving the Schrödinger eqn via ##\Psi(\vec r) = R(r)\,Y(\theta, \phi)\ ## which follows from [H,L]=0 .

Then the H atom treatment yields radial wave functions that yield constant <r>. Time independent!

My textbook is Eugen Merzbacher, Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed 1970 ...

Adding to this: I'd like a real QM teacher to step in and make clear what people like user3 can use as a mental image of this electron that classically circles the nucleus as a particle in the ubiquitous atom depiction, but quantum mechanically is such a mind-boggling ##\Psi## beast.

I mean, after a whole life of physics (HEP at that!) even the simplest excited state of the simplest atom is already beyond my down-to Earth abstraction level. Grmpf...:-p

BvU said:
Dear folks, at the risk of making a fool of myself: if you are interested in r, why work in Cartesian coordinates? (moot question, I would say, except for the appearance of ##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}\ ## which makes me worry).

Then: if you wonder about ##\frac{d<r>}{dt}\,## : that 's got little to do with "some equivalent of velocity". Only with the radius. Interesting for radiative transitions and so on, but I don't think you'll be able to work towards a connection with the classical case there ...

For a central force problem (usually treated before the H atom), most textbooks manage to reduce the problem of solving the Schrödinger eqn via ##\Psi(\vec r) = R(r)\,Y(\theta, \phi)\ ## which follows from [H,L]=0 .

Then the H atom treatment yields radial wave functions that yield constant <r>. Time independent!

My textbook is Eugen Merzbacher, Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed 1970 ...

You are right this is more useful.
I was trying to follow the path of the OP.

My turn to risk of making a fool of myself: r=cst is for time independent/ energy eigenstates, isn't it?(and V must be spherically symmetric if I remember correctly)

Here I would say the case is more general.

Last edited:
I find something like ##\frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{\vec{r}}{r}\cdot\frac{\vec{p}}{m}## for the classical system and ##\frac{d<r>}{dt}=\frac{1}{m}<\frac{\vec{r}}{r}\cdot \hat{\vec{p}}>-another\,term## for the quantum one.

Last edited:
Oh boy, so Ehrenfest is holding out quite well ! Provided we make the other term disappear. Can you post what you have thus far, bloby?

r=cst is for time independent/ energy eigenstates, isn't it? Yes, if you mean <r>; it's a number.

(and V must be spherically symmetric if I remember correctly) Yes: [H,L]=0 gets it all rolling.

##\frac{d<r>}{dt}=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}<2\frac{\vec{r}}{r}\cdot\nabla +\nabla^2 r> = \frac{1}{m}<\frac{\vec{r}}{r}\cdot \hat{\vec{p}}>-\frac{i\hbar}{m}<\frac{1}{r}>##

(If r is an observable, Ehrenfest's theorem is holding, even if the result does not look like the classical)
But are all those averaged operators observables? The i in the second term looks suspicious...

Last edited:

Related to Trying to calculate how <r> in the Hydrogen atom changes with time

1. How do you calculate the value in the Hydrogen atom?

The value in the Hydrogen atom can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic level. This equation takes into account the mass and charge of the particles as well as the forces acting on them.

2. What does the value represent in the Hydrogen atom?

The value represents the distance between the nucleus and the electron in the Hydrogen atom. It is also known as the radial distance or the radial coordinate.

3. How does the value change with time in the Hydrogen atom?

The value in the Hydrogen atom does not change with time. According to the Bohr model of the atom, the electron orbits the nucleus in a fixed circular path, and the distance between them remains constant. However, in more advanced models, such as the quantum mechanical model, the value may fluctuate slightly due to the uncertainty principle.

4. What factors affect the value in the Hydrogen atom?

The value in the Hydrogen atom is primarily affected by the energy level of the electron. As the electron absorbs or emits energy, it can transition to different energy levels, and thus the value may change. Additionally, the value may also be affected by external forces, such as electric or magnetic fields.

5. Is there a way to experimentally measure the value in the Hydrogen atom?

Yes, the value in the Hydrogen atom can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy. This involves shining a beam of light onto the atom and measuring the wavelengths of the light that is absorbed or emitted. From this data, the value can be calculated and compared to theoretical predictions.