Trying desparately to wrap my head around proportional relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses three different relationships between three quantities, x, y, and z. The first relationship involves an increase in x by a factor of F, which is followed by an increase in y by a factor of 2F and a decrease in z by a factor of F/2. The second relationship involves an increase in x by a factor of F resulting in an increase in y by a factor of F2 and a decrease in z by a factor of √F. The third relationship involves an increase in x by a factor of F leading to an increase in y by a factor of F and a decrease in z by a factor of F. The conversation then discusses finding a mathematical formalization for these relationships, but
Ontophile

Homework Statement

A) Suppose that we have 3 quantities, x, y, and z. An increase in x by a factor of F is followed by a subsequent increase of y by a factor of 2F. Furthermore, the very same increase in x by a factor of F results in a subsequent decrease of z by a factor of F/2. Similarly, when x is decreased by a factor of F, y is decreased by a factor of F/2 and z is increased by a factor of 2F. How do I mathematically formalize this relationship between x, y, and z?

B) Now suppose that an increase in x by a factor of F yields an increase in y by a factor of F2 and a decrease in z by a factor of √F (I assume that that's a square root symbol). How do I mathematically formalize THIS relationship between x, y, and z?

C) Lastly, suppose that an increase in x by a factor of F increases y by a factor of F and decreases z by a factor of F? How do I mathematically formalize THIS relationship between x, y, and z?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note, if y were proportional to x, then increasing x by a factor of F would also increase y by a factor of Fq

if y = x2 then increasing x by F increases y by F2
If q=1 then y is directly proportional to x
If q < 0 they y is inversely proportional to x
The proportionality is characterized by q as in "inverse-square" for q=-2.

the described, increase by F leads to increase by 2F means
if we start at x=1, and put y(1)=a
then at x=2, x has doubled for F=2, so y must have quadrupled: 2F=4 to 4a
at x = 3, F=3, so 2F=6, so y(3)=6a;
continuing gives:

x = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5,...}
y = {a, 4a, 6a, 8a, 10a,...}

x(4) = 4x(1) means y(4)=8y(1): which is what we have above
x(4) = 2x(2) means y(4)=4y(2) means 4.4a=8a - which is false.

since 8a ≠ 16a, this interpretation of "increase by a factor" is flawed.

If it just means x→x+F => y -> y→2F, then this is satisfied by y=2x
But we are also told that x→x-F => y→y-F/2 (by the same interpretation).
This won't work for y=2x.

I can see how you got confused! What exactly does "increase/decrease by a factor" mean in this situation?

Can we find q so that Fq = 2F
well: this means F(q-1)=2
which means [itex]q-1 = log_F(2) = \frac{\ln(2)}{\ln(F)}[/itex]
suggesting that the value of q depends on the value of F.

eg, if F=2 the q=2, if F=4, q=3/2
so the answer is "no" and we are back with:
What exactly does "increase/decrease by a factor" mean in this situation?

We can see this when we realize we are looking for y=f(x) with the property that f(Fx)=2F.f(x)
When F = 1 (no change) this reduces to f(x)=2f(x) which is false.

ref:
----------------------------
http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/PHY106/Slides/PPT/Lec2-Proportionality-Algebra.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Trying desparately to wrap my head around proportional relationships

What is a proportional relationship?

A proportional relationship is a type of mathematical relationship between two quantities where the ratio between them remains constant. This means that as one quantity changes, the other changes in a predictable way.

How do you identify a proportional relationship?

To identify a proportional relationship, you can create a table or graph of the two quantities and see if the ratio between them remains the same. If the ratio is constant, then the relationship is proportional.

What is the difference between direct and inverse proportional relationships?

In a direct proportional relationship, as one quantity increases, the other also increases at a constant rate. In an inverse proportional relationship, as one quantity increases, the other decreases at a constant rate.

How do you solve problems involving proportional relationships?

To solve problems involving proportional relationships, you can use the constant ratio to set up a proportion and then solve for the unknown quantity. You can also use the equation y = kx, where k is the constant ratio between the two quantities.

What real-life situations involve proportional relationships?

Proportional relationships can be found in many real-life situations, such as distance and time, speed and time, or cost and quantity. For example, the cost of buying 3 apples is proportional to the number of apples purchased.