Thermodynamics? Boiling point of NH3

In summary, the conversation is about finding the boiling point of ammonia at different pressures for a refrigeration system. The suggestion is to search for a phase diagram, which shows the relationship between temperature and pressure for different states of matter. However, the person could not find any useful information and is still searching for a source. Possible sources suggested are reports and articles from the internet.
Stevettt
Thermodynamics?? Boiling point of NH3

I hope I'm in the right place here, I'm no scientist, just a guy with a question. How can I find out the boiling point of ammonia at various pressures. :confused: I am dealing with an ammonia refrigeration system and trying to figure out where the ammonia stream is liquid and where it's gas. We have instrumentation telling us the pressures and temps at various points in the system, so if I only had a chart...
Anyway, any tips on where to look or the best way to Google this thing would be appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
I would suggest to do a search for a "phase diagram." This will be a 2-D diagram with lines on it and usually at least three labeled regions (solid, liquid, vapor/gas). The axes of the diagram are Temperature and Pressure. However, in my 5 min. search on the internet, I could not find anything useful. I will persist for a bit longer, and, if I do find something, I will edit this post to include a link.

Maybe:
http://www.isis.rl.ac.uk/ISIS99/reports/9858B.PDF
http://bowfell.geol.ucl.ac.uk/~lidunka/papers/20.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

2. What is the boiling point of NH3 (ammonia)?

The boiling point of NH3 is -33.34 °C or -28.01 °F.

3. How is thermodynamics related to boiling point?

Thermodynamics helps us understand the changes in temperature and state of matter, such as from a liquid to a gas, which occurs at the boiling point.

4. What factors can affect the boiling point of NH3?

The boiling point of NH3 can be affected by pressure, as well as the presence of impurities or other substances in the ammonia solution.

5. How can thermodynamics be applied to practical situations involving boiling point?

Thermodynamics can be used to calculate and predict the boiling point of a substance under different conditions, which can be useful in various industries such as food and beverage production, chemical engineering, and material science.