Truth table help.... did I do it correctly

In summary: You have reversed the truth values for this case.You have the wrong result for a ⇒ b . The only instance in which a ⇒ b is false, is the case of a is false and b is true. You have reversed the truth values for this case.In summary, the conversation is about a logic problem involving the equivalence of two expressions: (p → q) → (q → r) ≡ (p → r). The conversation includes a discussion of different approaches to solving the problem, such as using a truth table or a proof by contradiction. It also points out errors in the original attempt at a solution.
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

The question I'm asking about is number two. Should've made it clearer.
20160128_181508.jpg

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My proof table, I'm not sure but it seems that PΞQ is not true.
20160128_181518.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kingyou:

Your calculation looks right to me.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Kingyou123
A few hints:
  1. Set out your truth table methodically - this makes it easier for you to check and easier for a marker to give you partial marks
    Code:
    p q r
    -----
    T T T
    T T F
    T F T
    T F F
    F T T
    F T F
    F F T
    F F F
  2. Read the question carefully - why have you calculated p → r ?
  3. Learn the truth table for implies
    Code:
    a b | a→b
    ----------
    T T | T 
    T F | F
    F T | T
    F F | T

Likes Buzz Bloom and Mark44
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Kingyou:

Your calculation looks right to me.

Regards,
Buzz
Awesome, thank you

Kingyou123 said:

Homework Statement

The question I'm asking about is number two. Should've made it clearer.
View attachment 94964

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My proof table, I'm not sure but it seems that PΞQ is not true.
View attachment 94963

You can also use an argument:
Assume ## p\rightarrow## ~ r , and assume p. Then you have ##p\rightarrow q ##, from which q follows ,from which r follows.

WWGD said:
You can also use an argument:
Assume ## p\rightarrow## ~ r , and assume p. Then you have ##p\rightarrow q ##, from which q follows ,from which r follows.
How does that show that there are values of (p, q, r) for which the identity does not hold)?

MrAnchovy said:
How does that show that there are values of (p, q, r) for which the identity does not hold)?
It shows there are none, since this shows that the wff is a theorem.

WWGD said:
It shows there are none, since this shows that the wff is a theorem.
I don't understand which wff you are referring to, or any steps of your outline proof I am afraid. In any case I'm pretty sure the question setter is looking for a truth table and is going to mark a deductive proof harshly unless it is presented flawlessly - why take the risk?

MrAnchovy said:
I don't understand which wff you are referring to, or any steps of your outline proof I am afraid. In any case I'm pretty sure the question setter is looking for a truth table and is going to mark a deductive proof harshly unless it is presented flawlessly - why take the risk?
Sorry, I was unclear, I was aiming for a proof by contradiction, but I agree, might as well go for the truth table argument.

MrAnchovy said:

1. Read the question carefully - why have you calculated p → r ?
To be clear, I meant why have you calculated p → r (incorrectly) in the first calculated column of the TT?

MrAnchovy said:
To be clear, I meant why have you calculated p → r (incorrectly) in the first calculated column of the TT?

I assumed ## p \rightarrow -r ## together with the given premises and concluded r , so I showed by contradiction that ## p \rightarrow r ##. Unfortunately I don't know well the Latex for logic symbols to do
the actual derivation of ## p \rightarrow r## and ##p \rightarrow - r ##..

Last edited:
Oh this has got very confusing, my post #10 was intended to clarify my post #3 pointing out that the OP had misread the question which asks for (p → q) → (q → r) ≡ (p → r) and attempted to show a TT for (p → r) → (q → r) ≡ (p → r) instead.

As for your post #11 WWGD, note that the negation of ## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) \equiv (p \to r) ## is not ## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) \equiv (p \to \neg r) ## it is ##(p \to q) \to (q \to r) \neq (p \to r) ##

MrAnchovy said:
Oh this has got very confusing, my post #10 was intended to clarify my post #3 pointing out that the OP had misread the question which asks for (p → q) → (q → r) ≡ (p → r) and attempted to show a TT for (p → r) → (q → r) ≡ (p → r) instead.

As for your post #11 WWGD, note that the negation of ## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) \equiv (p \to r) ## is not ## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) \equiv (p \to \neg r) ## it is ##(p \to q) \to (q \to r) \neq (p \to r) ##
I know (and you're right that I only proved one side of the equivalence), I don't mean to be impolite, but it is getting too confusing; let's just drop it if you don't mind, sorry for the dead end.

WWGD said:
it is getting too confusing; let's just drop it if you don't mind
Agreed - the OP seems to have gone anyway (unfortunately I think with the impression that his workings were OK but we tried...)

MrAnchovy said:
Agreed - the OP seems to have gone anyway (unfortunately I think with the impression that his workings were OK but we tried...)
What is wrong with my work?

Look at what you have written at the top of your fourth and sixth columns and read the question again.

And then apply the truth table I showed you correctly.

The easiest way to do this is to create the truth table for the expression

## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) ##

Then look for two things. First, check to see if the truth value (for any fixed values of p and r) depends on q. If so, the equivalence cannot hold. If not, then check if the truth table for the above expression produces the same values for a fixed p and r as ## (p \to r) ##.

Kingyou123 said:
What is wrong with my work?
You have the wrong result for a ⇒ b . The only instance in which a ⇒ b is false, is the case of a is false and b is true.

Related to Truth table help.... did I do it correctly

1. How do I know if I did the truth table correctly?

One way to check if you did the truth table correctly is by comparing it to a known example or using a truth table generator. Another way is by checking for consistency and ensuring that all logical operators and values are accurately represented.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a truth table?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a truth table include incorrect application of logical operators, missing or incorrect values, and failing to account for all possible combinations of values for the variables.

3. Can I use a truth table to prove or disprove a statement?

Yes, a truth table can be used to prove or disprove a statement by showing all possible combinations of values for the variables and determining if the statement holds true for each combination.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should arrange the columns in a truth table?

Yes, it is recommended to arrange the columns in a truth table in a specific order, such as starting with the simplest expressions and gradually building up to more complex ones. This can help in avoiding errors and ensuring accuracy.

5. How can I use a truth table in my research or experiments?

A truth table can be used in research or experiments to represent and analyze logical relationships between different variables or conditions. It can also help in identifying patterns and making predictions based on the given information.