Truth Table for A unless B , or A , only if B ?

In summary, the two binary connectives 'unless' and 'only if' are often used in Logic Games and are both true when both inputs are true or both inputs are false. They can be described as "If I sleep then I'm tired" and are only false if you sleep while not being tired.
Bacle2
Science Advisor
Truth Table for "A unless B", or "A , only if B"?

Hi, All:

My friend is preparing for the LSAT's, and he asked me to help her with the Logic Games
part.

Two of the binary connectives often used in those games are 'unless', and 'only if'. I guess I'm being kind of lazy , hoping someone has already run into these two. I assume both of these connectives are true exactly when both inputs are true or both inputs are false, as in: " I don't sleep unless I'm tired", or "I sleep only of I'm tired". Then, it would seem. Is this a correct description?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Bacle2 said:
Hi, All:

My friend is preparing for the LSAT's, and he asked me to help her with the Logic Games
part.

Two of the binary connectives often used in those games are 'unless', and 'only if'. I guess I'm being kind of lazy , hoping someone has already run into these two. I assume both of these connectives are true exactly when both inputs are true or both inputs are false, as in: " I don't sleep unless I'm tired", or "I sleep only of I'm tired". Then, it would seem. Is this a correct description?

Thanks.

These are both equivalent to: If I sleep then I'm tired. This implacation is only false
if you sleep while you're not tired

Thanks, Willem2. 2's rule!

Related to Truth Table for A unless B , or A , only if B ?

What is a truth table for "A unless B"?

A truth table for "A unless B" shows the possible combinations of values for the statements A and B, and the resulting truth value for the statement "A unless B".

How is "A unless B" different from "A, only if B"?

The statement "A unless B" means that A is true unless B is also true. This means that A can be true even if B is false. On the other hand, "A, only if B" means that A is true only if B is true. This means that A cannot be true if B is false.

What does it mean if both A and B are true in "A unless B"?

If both A and B are true in "A unless B", then the statement "A unless B" is false. This is because the condition for A to be true (B being false) is not met.

Can A and B both be false in "A unless B"?

Yes, A and B can both be false in "A unless B". In this case, the statement "A unless B" is true. This is because the condition for A to be true (B being false) is met.

How can the truth table for "A unless B" be used in scientific research?

The truth table for "A unless B" can be used in scientific research to determine the logical relationship between two statements. This can help in analyzing data and making conclusions based on the logical connections between variables. It can also be used to test hypotheses and make predictions.