Dogs 'have sixth-sense for earthquakes': Ananova.com

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary, Dr Shimamura examined the records of complaints of dogs barking excessively, biting, and displaying other unusual behavior spiking in the two months before and after the Kobe earthquake. He said that the increase in complaints could be due to the dogs ability to perceive the infrasonic frequencies emitted by seismic activity.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dr Shimamura examined the records of such complaints in parts of western Japan affected by a 1995 Kobe earthquake that killed more than 6,000 people.

He said accounts of dogs barking excessively, biting and displaying other unusual behaviour spiked in the two months before and after the quake.

Records at three centres on Awaji Island, which was above the epicentre, showed a 60% increase in the month prior to the earthquake compared to a year earlier.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_822524.html?menu=news.quirkies

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
All they need now is sixth sense about automobiles.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
All they need now is sixth sense about automobiles.

Really I object to the term "sixth sense"; it could be a known sense picking up an unknown or unrecognized emission; say a gas for example, high frequency sounds, or even EM that effects the brain in some way.

It is absolutely some physical sence. You would think hearing because dogs are well known for that, and you wouldn't guess smell, even though they're well known for that, but I believe it is probably another extra-refined sense they are just becoming known for, which is their ability to detect extremely subtle disturbances in electric fields.

Dogs are now being trained as "seizure dogs". They are able to sense when a person is going to have a seizure, and will bark at them to warn them they should stop doing anything potentially dangerous and lie down.

This is particularly useful for people who do not get an aura before a tonic-clonic seizure and go into it with no warning. There are schools to train dogs for this just like seeing eye dogs.

Hey Guys

This is my first post.
I'm still a neophyte to science so be gentle.

I've been thinking lately about animals various use of infrasonic sound. So I was wondering if although dogs can hear ultrasonic sounds of up to 40000Hz. It seems the that the numerous reported cases of dogs barking before earthquakes could be due to the dogs ability (just a theory here) to perceive the infrasonic frequencies emited by seismic activity similar to how humans are affected by certain levels infrasonic frequencies reportadly producing aggitation. How they would detect these frequencies I don't know. Tell me your thoughts.

null, i think dogs can hear from 15Hz to 15 KHz. Humans though hear from 20Hz to 20kHz. Maybe the the pre-stage of a earthquake starts with these shockwaves between 15-20Hz. Everyone agree?

Hey Nerj
I've found a lot of conflictinng information on dogs range of hearing but generally I've found numbers more like 67Hz to 45kHz. I think that the range used to monitor for earthquake related seismic activity is in the 0.001-10Hz, so it seems unlikely that it would be within a dogs range of hearing, but who knows perhaps they can detect that frequency other ways such as other mammals do through the ground? Any thoughts?:wink:

You're right about the frequencies null.

I think this must be somehow linked to imperceptible shockwaves, that we can't notice but dogs do.

I've been looking into infrasound lately on an unrelated matter and have found a lot of research showing that scientists have been recording infrasound prior to earthquakes and they believe this might be the cause of animals odd behavior before earthquakes and that it may be a way to "predict" earthquakes in the future. I am going to bed, but I will try to dig some links up later.

BTW null, the Holy Grail is one of my favorite movies.

Evo - obviously a lady with an excellent sense of humor , nice to come across another XX with an appreciation of the Holy Grail, It cracks me up every time .

It would be great to hear what you come up with in regards to animals ability to perceive infrasonic wavelengths (caused by earthquakes or even in general) out of their auditory range. It's something I've been very curious about lately. I have some more information on this but it is also time for bed for me [zz)] but we will get back to this later :smile: .

It would be neat to record people's ultrasound emissions, then play them back slowed to audible with corresponding video.

Sounds really interesting, obviously a creative mind at work here.

Originally posted by Evo
I've been looking into infrasound lately on an unrelated matter

I'm curious what the unrelated matter is that got you on this track. I looking into it as its just a piece of my current puzzle.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has studied the pads of dogs feet to see if they do have the sensors that elephants and now lions are thought to have allowing them to pick up seismic info. I'll look more into it. I know that there have been numerous accounts of everything from snakes to moles to fish acting in a bizarre manner hours before an earquake. Snakes have be found frozen in the snow after leaving their burrows during hibernation, pre earthquake and some fish, predominantly catfish have been known to become agitated before earthquates and to jump out of the water onto dry land .

Anyway more latter. Thanks for the link, I'm looking into it.

I recall reading an article recently about zookeepers at the San Diego Zoo noticing unuaual animal behavior just prior to one of their frequent earthquakes. I'm trying to locate info about that but have had no luck yet. I have, however, come across some interesting links:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/11/1111_031111_earthquakeanimals.html

http://www.yam.com/921e/science100201.html

AND
(It was imperative that I include this one )
http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Earthquake.html

Haven't they been having increased earthquake activity in Yellowstone lately? (Site of a super volcano!) Maybe they are doing animal studies related to them? I'll google and see what I can find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Tsunami
AND
(It was imperative that I include this one )
http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Earthquake.html

Very Cute

You know that makes you the local expert, your a tsunami caused by seismic activity that produces infrasonic waves that you can, since your also a cute little dog sense. So technically you as a dog can warn us before you as a tsunami arrives. Damn you must keep busy :wink:

I'll be interested to see if you can find some studies coming out of Yellowstone!

Originally posted by null
You know that makes you the local expert, your a tsunami caused by seismic activity that produces infrasonic waves that you can, since your also a cute little dog sense. So technically you as a dog can warn us before you as a tsunami arrives. Damn you must keep busy :wink:
Very clever null!

Very Cute

SO busy that it seems like I've just been chasing my TAIL!
But what you say is true. I've been very successful in my predictions. In fact, right now, I am predicting that Evo is fairly free of any Tsunami warnings (in the area that she lives) for at least the next ohhhh...10 years? :wink: But that's not a promise. We all know how UNPREDICTABLE Mother Earth can be... :wink:

I'll be interested to see if you can find some studies coming out of Yellowstone!
Nothing so far. Had to prematurely end my search the other night. I'll try to get to it tonight.

Thanks for the links Tsunami I'll take a closer look at them tommorow, now it's time for [zz)] [zz)] [zz)] demolish the alarm clock[zz)] .

Oh no it's getting worse I have found myself more and more addicted to :wink: since I joined PF. I find myself replacing periods and exclamation points with them This won't bode well for my school papers [b(] :frown: Did this happen to you guys when you joined PF [?] I think PF needs to start a support group for aholics before it gets out of control. No, no, nevermind it's o.k. I'm probably just overeacting I'm sure I could stop at any time :frown: [b(]

Thanks for the links Tsunami I'll take a closer look at them tommorow, now it's time for [zz)] [zz)] [zz)] demolish the alarm clock[zz)] .

Oh no it's getting worse I have found myself more and more addicted to :wink: since I joined PF. I find myself replacing periods and exclamation points with them This won't bode well for my school papers [b(] :frown: Did this happen to you guys when you joined PF [?] I think PF needs to start a support group for aholics before it gets out of control. No, no, nevermind it's o.k. I'm probably just overeacting I'm sure I could stop at any time :frown: [b(]
GOOD LUCK!
(*another aholic bites the dust. heh heh heh*)

1. How do dogs have a sixth sense for earthquakes?

According to research, dogs have an ability to sense subtle changes in their environment, including changes in the earth's magnetic field and low-frequency seismic waves. This allows them to detect the presence of an earthquake before humans can.

2. Can dogs predict when an earthquake will happen?

No, dogs cannot predict when an earthquake will happen. They can only sense the presence of an earthquake when it is already occurring or about to occur.

3. How accurate are dogs in sensing earthquakes?

The accuracy of dogs in sensing earthquakes is still being studied and debated. While some studies have shown that dogs can sense earthquakes with high accuracy, others have not found a significant correlation. It is also possible that some dogs may be more sensitive to seismic activity than others.

4. Can all dogs sense earthquakes?

It is believed that any dog can potentially have this sixth sense for earthquakes, but it may vary depending on their breed, training, and individual sensitivity. Some breeds, such as retrievers and terriers, are known for their strong sense of smell and may be more likely to detect changes in the environment.

5. Can dogs be trained to detect earthquakes?

While dogs have a natural ability to sense earthquakes, they can also be trained to do so. Some organizations have trained dogs to work alongside seismologists to help monitor seismic activity and provide early warning signs. However, it is not a common practice and further research is needed to determine the reliability and effectiveness of using dogs as earthquake detectors.

Back