Truman Henry Safford - Legitimate, and if so, how?

• Thread starter hereandnow672
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ability of "human calculators" to quickly and accurately perform mental calculations, such as calculating the square of a large number. It is mentioned that Truman Henry Safford is said to have done this in under a minute, though the accuracy and validity of this claim is questioned. The conversation also brings up the possibility of these "human calculators" being a product of myth and whether they have attempted to explain their abilities. The potential answers to these questions are deemed valuable and a documentary about children trained in using an abacus to perform mental calculations is mentioned as an example.
hereandnow672
Allow the following to exemplify my curiosity toward how the human mind works:

According to non-cited information via wikipedia.com, Truman Henry Safford is said to have calculated the square of 365,365,365,365,365,365 in less than a minutes time. It should be needless to say that this information may very well be either heavily exaggerated or false to begin with, however, that is not the point. What I'm interested in is how "human calculators" can produce, relatively instantaneously, accurate mental calculations to similar types of problems.

Are these people even real or merely a product of myth? Have any of these people ever attempted to explain how this may be possible?

Does anybody else find the potential answers to these questions as valuable as I do?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hereandnow672 said:
Allow the following to exemplify my curiosity toward how the human mind works:

According to non-cited information via wikipedia.com, Truman Henry Safford is said to have calculated the square of 365,365,365,365,365,365 in less than a minutes time. It should be needless to say that this information may very well be either heavily exaggerated or false to begin with, however, that is not the point. What I'm interested in is how "human calculators" can produce, relatively instantaneously, accurate mental calculations to similar types of problems.

Are these people even real or merely a product of myth? Have any of these people ever attempted to explain how this may be possible?

Does anybody else find the potential answers to these questions as valuable as I do?

There was a video (a documentary) about asian kids that were trained very early with an abacus that by the time they reached about 12 or so, they could do very large calculations in their heads.

I think the documentary is the Boy with the incredible brain:

Scroll half-way into the clip and you will see what I mean. They don't do square roots but you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Truman Henry Safford - Legitimate, and if so, how?

1. What evidence is there to suggest that Truman Henry Safford was a legitimate scientist?

There are several pieces of evidence that suggest Truman Henry Safford was a legitimate scientist. He was a professor of astronomy at Williams College for over 30 years, published numerous papers in reputable scientific journals, and was a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Additionally, Safford's research on the orbit of the planet Saturn was highly regarded and he was awarded the prestigious Lalande Prize by the French Academy of Sciences for his work.

2. Why is there debate about Truman Henry Safford's legitimacy as a scientist?

There is debate about Truman Henry Safford's legitimacy as a scientist because of his unconventional methods and theories. Safford was known for his eccentric personality and often clashed with his colleagues. He also proposed some controversial ideas, such as the "Safford ring" theory of Saturn's rings, which were not widely accepted by the scientific community.

3. Was Truman Henry Safford's work influential in the field of astronomy?

Yes, Truman Henry Safford's work was influential in the field of astronomy. His research on Saturn's orbit and rings helped advance our understanding of the planet and was considered groundbreaking at the time. Safford also made important contributions to the study of comets and asteroids, and his observations were used by other astronomers in their own research.

4. How did Truman Henry Safford's personal life impact his career as a scientist?

Truman Henry Safford's personal life had a significant impact on his career as a scientist. He suffered from poor health and often took long breaks from his work, which affected his productivity. Safford also had a tendency to clash with his colleagues and superiors, which may have hindered his professional relationships and opportunities.

5. What is Truman Henry Safford's legacy in the scientific community?

Truman Henry Safford's legacy in the scientific community is mixed. While he made important contributions to the field of astronomy and was highly respected by some of his peers, his unconventional methods and controversial theories also earned him criticism and skepticism. However, Safford's work continues to be studied and referenced in the field of astronomy, and he is remembered as a unique and dedicated scientist.