Troubleshooting Steam Plant Output: Tips for Evening Class Assignment

• Thread starter anthonyk2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant Steam
In summary, To calculate the steam output, you can use the 77% efficiency without involving the economizer and super heater. This means that 77% of the heat obtained from the combustion of coal is used to convert water to steam. To find the steam output, divide 77% by h2-h1 and equate it with the energy provided by the combustion of coal. This should give you the answer of 6244.09 kg/h.
anthonyk2013
Im attempting this question for an evening class I am attending. hope I am posting in the right place. I'm not sure where I have gone wrong think its where I rearranged my formula to find steam output.

Question attached below

Attachments

• steam plant 1 001.jpg
    steam plant 1 001.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 435
  • steam plant 2 001.jpg
    steam plant 2 001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 2015-01-25 001 001.jpg
    2015-01-25 001 001.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
The work is a bit unclear. I'll get back to you in a day or so.

Likes anthonyk2013
Ok Thanks

I think I calculated the steam output wrong, I have the over all efficiently of the system 77%, what formula do I use the calculate steam output?
Q=M(h2-h1)

Yeah that's the one..!
For calculating the steam output, you can directly use the 77% efficiency without involving the economizer and super heater (if I'm not wrong).
So 77% of the heat obtained from the combustion of coal is used to convert water to steam.

siddharth23 said:
Yeah that's the one..!
For calculating the steam output, you can directly use the 77% efficiency without involving the economizer and super heater (if I'm not wrong).
So 77% of the heat obtained from the combustion of coal is used to convert water to steam.

77% is the overall efficiency am I right ? So did I divide .77 by h2-h1 to get steam output?

anthonyk2013 said:
77% is the overall efficiency am I right ? So did I divide .77 by h2-h1 to get steam output?
Yes! And equate it with the energy provided by the combustion of coal. Tell me if that gives the right answer.

6244.09 kg/h

I meant did you get the right answer?

Related to Troubleshooting Steam Plant Output: Tips for Evening Class Assignment

1. What is a steam plant?

A steam plant is a power generation facility that produces electricity by converting the energy of steam into mechanical energy, which is then transformed into electrical energy through a generator. Steam plants typically use fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, or natural gas, to heat water and create steam.

2. How does a steam plant work?

A steam plant works by burning fuel, such as coal, to heat water in a boiler and produce steam. The steam then enters a turbine, where its energy is converted into mechanical energy. The rotating turbine is connected to a generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy that is then sent to the power grid.

3. What are the advantages of using a steam plant for electricity generation?

Steam plants have several advantages, including their ability to produce large amounts of electricity at a relatively low cost. They are also reliable and can operate continuously, providing a consistent source of electricity. Additionally, steam plants can use a variety of fuels and can be built in different sizes to fit the needs of different communities.

4. What are the environmental impacts of steam plants?

Steam plants can have negative environmental impacts, primarily due to the emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants. Burning fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide, a major contributor to climate change, as well as other air pollutants that can harm human health and the environment. However, newer steam plant technologies, such as carbon capture and storage, can help reduce these impacts.

5. What is the future of steam plants?

The future of steam plants is likely to involve a shift towards cleaner and more sustainable fuels, such as natural gas and renewable energy sources like solar and wind. There is also ongoing research and development in advanced steam plant technologies, such as supercritical and ultra-supercritical boilers, which can increase the efficiency and reduce the environmental impacts of steam plants.