Troubleshooting Quenched NMR: Stuck on Superconducting Shim Z2

• Thread starter zen loki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nmr
In summary, the conversation discusses a 7T NMR in a lab that recently experienced a quench, causing the superconductors to go normal and lose all helium. The group is trying to get the magnet running again but is stuck on the proper pinning for one of the superconducting shims. The lack of documentation and identifying information on the magnet makes it difficult to troubleshoot. The possibility of interplay between the main coil and the Z2 superconducting coil is mentioned and suggestions are given for seeking help from Oxford Instruments, nearby universities, or an electronics shop. The speaker wishes the group good luck in getting the magnet back up and running.
zen loki
I have a real stumper for you guys. We have an 7T (300 MHz) NMR in our lab that recently quenched – the superconductors went normal and we lost all our helium. That is can be pretty bad for a magnet, but we think ours got through it without significant harm. We have been getting it back up and running but there is one point we are stuck on. We need to get the superconducting shims operating, but there is a single shim (Z2) that we don't know the proper pinning for. The rest of them we know exactly but that last one has us stuck. The only pinning information we have has nothing about Z2 superconducting shim, though we know we have one. Our best guess is that the z2 shim is activated at the same time as the main coil, though that seems really odd.

What makes this all the more frustrating is the fact that there is no model number or make, printed on the exterior and the only the only documentation is for related machines - again without names. It was put together by Varian, though they don't have documentation for it any more. It is 13 or more years older. The magnet itself was made by Oxford and the internal dewars by Kadel Engineering.

Does this look familiar to anyone ?

Attachments

• lab.jpg
    lab.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
The possibility that there may be some sort of interplay between the main coil and the Z2 superconducting coil makes a vague sort of sense based on the fact I've heard of Z2 coils being wrecked during a quench. (You're lucky I've been going through my magnetic resonance literature and had my memory jogged at the moment, the citation for this wrecked Z2 coil is "Design and Assembly of an 8 Tesla Whole-Body MR Scanner". Nov./Dec. 1999. Journal of Computer Aided Tomography. Vol. 23(6): 808-820.) However, your magnet doesn't ring any specific bells in my memory, it looks like all of the other 7 T magnets I've seen.

I would suggest doing one or all of the following:

- contact Oxford Instruments;

- contact your nearest university NMR facility (there's usually at least one or two engineers in every NMR facility I've seen), unless this magnet belongs to such a facility. Am guessing that this is a specific lab magnet, based on the clutter on the bench, as most facility managers try to keep things slightly more orderly. ;)

- if you have an electronics shop, you may want to check over there for a useful word or two.

I hope you and your colleagues get your magnet back up and running. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your troubleshooting experience with us. The situation you described is certainly challenging and requires careful analysis and problem-solving. I can offer a few suggestions and potential explanations for the issue you are facing.

First, it is important to understand the role of superconducting shims in NMR machines. These shims are responsible for creating a homogeneous magnetic field in the sample, which is essential for obtaining accurate and reliable NMR spectra. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that all shims are functioning properly.

Based on your description, it seems that the Z2 shim is not functioning as expected. This could be due to several reasons, such as incorrect pinning or a malfunction in the shim itself. It is also possible that the Z2 shim is activated differently from the other shims, as you suggested.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would recommend checking the pinning information for the other shims and comparing it to the Z2 shim. If there are any differences, it is worth investigating further and trying different pinning configurations for the Z2 shim. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with experts or colleagues who have experience with similar NMR machines to gather more insights and potential solutions.

Regarding the lack of documentation and identifying information for the NMR machine, it is not uncommon for older equipment to have limited or outdated documentation. In these cases, it can be helpful to reach out to the manufacturers or their representatives for assistance. They may have knowledge or records of your specific machine that could aid in troubleshooting.

In summary, I recommend carefully reviewing the pinning information and consulting with experts to troubleshoot the Z2 shim issue. It may also be helpful to reach out to the manufacturers for additional support. I wish you success in resolving this issue and getting your NMR machine back up and running.

Related to Troubleshooting Quenched NMR: Stuck on Superconducting Shim Z2

1. What is "Quenched NMR"?

"Quenched NMR" is a technique used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to study the relaxation times of molecules in a sample. It involves rapidly changing the magnetic field of the NMR instrument, causing the molecules to lose their magnetization and return to their equilibrium state. This process provides information about the molecular structure and dynamics of the sample.

2. How does "Quenched NMR" differ from regular NMR?

In regular NMR, the magnetic field is kept constant, allowing the molecules in the sample to reach their equilibrium state. This provides information about the chemical shifts and coupling constants of the molecules. In "Quenched NMR", the magnetic field is rapidly changed, disrupting the equilibrium state and providing information about the relaxation times of the molecules.

3. What types of molecules can be studied with "Quenched NMR"?

"Quenched NMR" can be used to study a wide range of molecules, including proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates, and small molecules. It is particularly useful for studying molecules with long relaxation times, such as large biomolecules.

4. How is "Quenched NMR" used in research?

"Quenched NMR" is commonly used in research to study the dynamics of biomolecules and their interactions with other molecules. It can also be used to study the effects of temperature, pressure, and other external factors on molecular relaxation times. Additionally, "Quenched NMR" is used in drug discovery and development to study the binding of potential drug molecules to their targets.

5. What are the advantages of using "Quenched NMR"?

"Quenched NMR" has several advantages over regular NMR, including the ability to study molecules with long relaxation times, the ability to study dynamic processes in real time, and the ability to study the effects of external factors on molecular dynamics. It also provides a complementary approach to other NMR techniques, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of molecular structure and dynamics.