Troubleshooting PSpice Schematic: VDC=10V

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation issue where the user is getting a straight line at 10V instead of a curve from 0 to 10V. Suggestions are given to try using a step source instead of a VDC source and to make sure the time step is small enough for an accurate simulation. It is also mentioned that the program may calculate an initial bias point which could affect the results.
david90
In my schematic, i have vdc = 10v, a resitor,ground and a capcitor. All 3 are in series except ground. When I run simulation, I get a straight line at 10v instead of a curve from 0 to 10v. I put the voltage probe between resistor and cap btw.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're probably doing a bias-point simulation instead of a transient simulation. You might also want to try using a step source instead of VDC source.

- Warren

i'm pretty sure I'm doing a transient simulation because in the sim profile it says so.

Is it necessary to use a step source instead of vdc? On my worksheet that my teach gave me, it shows vdc.

Dc is okay , but the program may calc the initial bias point which may be the same as your final. ( skip this if you can ) . other wise use a step dc. or a switch . Make sure you time step is small enough so it makes sense . Pspice is almost always correct but the setup is usually the problem. Ray.

time scale

I think rayjohn may be on to somehting there - make sure your time scale is small enough.

For instance, if your circuit has a time constant of 10us and you simulate it for 10s, the response over the full simulation time will likely look like a steady 10V.

Related to Troubleshooting PSpice Schematic: VDC=10V

1. What is PSpice Schematic?

PSpice Schematic is a software tool used for circuit simulation and analysis. It allows users to create virtual electronic circuits and test their functionality before building them in real life.

2. How do I set VDC to 10V in PSpice Schematic?

To set VDC (DC voltage) to 10V in PSpice Schematic, you can use the voltage source component and specify the value as 10V. You can also use the "set voltage" feature to change the value of an existing voltage source to 10V.

3. Why is my circuit not working in PSpice Schematic despite setting VDC to 10V?

There could be several reasons why your circuit is not working. Some common issues include incorrect wiring, incorrect component values, or a faulty component. Double-check your circuit layout and verify that all components are functioning properly.

4. Can I simulate AC circuits in PSpice Schematic?

Yes, PSpice Schematic allows you to simulate both DC and AC circuits. You can specify the frequency and amplitude of the AC signal and analyze the circuit's behavior.

5. Is PSpice Schematic suitable for beginners?

PSpice Schematic can be challenging for beginners who have little to no experience with electronic circuit design. However, there are plenty of resources available, such as tutorials and user guides, to help beginners get started with the software.