Troubleshooting Intermittent Text Garbling on HP Laptop Screen

In summary, Anorlunda's computer is corrupting the characters it sends to us, and it seems to be a problem with his computer specifically.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
My HP laptop screen is intermittently misbehaving 3 or 4 times per day. See an example below. But if I scroll that text off screen, then scroll back again, it renders correctly.

upload_2018-12-4_16-20-48.png
I'm wondering if it just might be a faulty connection.
Should I try to unplug/plug the cables to the screen?
Should I try to re-seat the memory chips?
What other DIY remedies might I try?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_16-20-48.png
    upload_2018-12-4_16-20-48.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 930
Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it cold temperature related?

It looks like the font data is corrupted which could mean a bad disk sector.

Someone here suggested updating the video card drivers.

https://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/text-on-vista-hp-laptop-screen-appears-broken/83369.html

You could also use compressed air to clean out the insides, and reseat any memory cards.

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
But if I scroll that text off screen, then scroll back again, it renders correctly.
Then the graphic card drivers are OK. To me it looks like a video RAM problem - which again means the graphic card subsystem.

Likes Yelzobj and anorlunda
I disagree with the font data problem theory. Characters appear good some places and bad other places. Reseat the easiest connections first. Reseat everything before you consider other hardware problems.

Likes jedishrfu
Yeah I noticed that as I looked at it again today and started thinking maybe it’s an issue of graphics updates to the screen as the mouse pointer moves across it.

I couldn’t find a good reference that described the problem though.

If you can connect another monitor through HDMI or other, try that. It may narrow down the possible source of the problem.

Likes jedishrfu and Klystron
jedishrfu said:
It looks like the font data is corrupted which could mean a bad disk sector.
No, not the font data. If that were the problem, we would see consistent corruption: all L's should have the same corruption everywhere in the text (see below). Same with all T's, etc.

(Though, oddly, there is consistency with double letters, such as dropped, really, and !)

It does seem to be related to character rendering to-screen. As if, for every character sequentially printed to the screen, a random number of raster lines just doesn't light up.

Notice that its always a line of pixels missing from a character - never individual pixels.

screen.png

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
anorlunda said:
But if I scroll that text off screen, then scroll back again, it renders correctly.
That sure points to contents of the Video Ram. Could be either reading the Character Generator or writing the VIdeo Ram. My first step would be clean all the dust out of the thing, memories don't like hi temps (all they have to sweat is bits, and that's what gets dropped). Hi temps can also disrupt the timing of the interface chips, giving identical visual effects.

Then you can move on to wiggling everything in a socket or connector. Tthough it's probably best to keep clear of the CPU other than dusting it off.

Please keep us updated, if it is working well enough to do so.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Please keep us updated, if it is working well enough to do so.
That's a very good point!

What if Anorlunda's computer is corrupting the characters it sends to us here? Would we ever know?

What if he's lying there on the floor right now trying to type "Help! I tried to use a metal featherduster to clean the motherboard and now I'm being electrocuted to death!' but all we're seeing is 'What other DIY remedies might I try?'

Likes anorlunda
Is this a particular program?
Does it happen in the BIOS? Or in another operating system (e.g. linux live cd)?

Did you make any change recently or it started showing sudden?

Related to Troubleshooting Intermittent Text Garbling on HP Laptop Screen

1. What causes computer screen garbling text?

Computer screen garbling text can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a faulty graphics card, outdated or corrupted display drivers, or a damaged monitor. It can also be a result of software or hardware conflicts, or insufficient memory.

2. How can I fix computer screen garbling text?

The first step to fixing computer screen garbling text is to troubleshoot the possible causes. This can involve updating drivers, checking for hardware or software conflicts, or running diagnostic tests. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the graphics card or monitor.

3. Can computer screen garbling text be a sign of a virus?

Yes, in some cases, computer screen garbling text can be a sign of a virus or malware infection. It is important to run a virus scan to check for any malicious programs that may be causing the issue.

4. Can a damaged cable cause computer screen garbling text?

Yes, a damaged cable can cause computer screen garbling text. If the cable connecting the computer to the monitor is damaged or loose, it can result in a poor connection and cause visual distortions on the screen.

5. Is there a way to prevent computer screen garbling text?

Preventing computer screen garbling text involves regular maintenance and updates. Keeping drivers and software up-to-date, running virus scans, and properly maintaining hardware can help prevent this issue. It is also important to use quality cables and avoid physical damage to the monitor and computer.