Troubleshooting Hydrogen Discharge Tubes: Potential Causes for Emission Stoppage

In summary, the hydrogen tube stopped emitting because all the hydrogen atoms became ionized. I think it might happen more easily with hydrogen than with other gases because the atoms/molecules are so light.
amalmirando
Hi,
I experimented with a hydrogen tube and after some time the emission stopped.could it be because all hydrogen atoms became completely ionized?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you describe this in more detail?
What was the arrangement of your experiment? What was the purpose?

the purpose was just to observe the spectrum using an induction coil. the tube was in operation about an hour and after that tha dark spaces were connected together and some time later the emission stopped.

I think it's because the hydrogen gas in the tube simply gets absorbed by the glass in the walls of the tube, or by the electrodes. It happens more easily with hydrogen than with other gases because the atoms/molecules are so light.

In our introductory labs we use a variety of gas discharge tubes for observing spectra (hydrogen, helium, argon, neon, mercury). We have to replace the hydrogen tubes often because they "wear out" like this. The other tubes usually last until someone breaks them.

but the concern is the fact that on the following day the hydrogen tube started emitting though the intensity was a bit weak.

jtbell said:
I think it's because the hydrogen gas in the tube simply gets absorbed by the glass in the walls of the tube, or by the electrodes. It happens more easily with hydrogen than with other gases because the atoms/molecules are so light.

In our introductory labs we use a variety of gas discharge tubes for observing spectra (hydrogen, helium, argon, neon, mercury). We have to replace the hydrogen tubes often because they "wear out" like this. The other tubes usually last until someone breaks them.

I have a vague memory of someone telling me that the tubes can be "regassed" by putting them in the fridge or freezer for a few hours.I don't know if it works.

I browsed through the internet and did not find anything regarding your statement...wonder if it's true...when cooled atoms do slow down and wonder if it accelerates the recombination process...

Are hydrogen tubes meant to be operated interminently? because i had turned it on for more than 10 minutes...

amalmirando said:
I browsed through the internet and did not find anything regarding your statement...wonder if it's true...when cooled atoms do slow down and wonder if it accelerates the recombination process...

I browsed as well and found nothing.:confused:

here are some videos i took during the experiment ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Troubleshooting Hydrogen Discharge Tubes: Potential Causes for Emission Stoppage

1. What are some common causes for hydrogen discharge tube emission stoppage?

There are several potential causes for emission stoppage in hydrogen discharge tubes. These include a decrease in hydrogen gas pressure, contamination of the discharge tube, faulty power supply or wiring, or a damaged electrode.

2. How can I troubleshoot low hydrogen gas pressure in a discharge tube?

To troubleshoot low hydrogen gas pressure, check the pressure gauge on the gas cylinder to ensure it is at the recommended level. If the pressure is low, replace the gas cylinder. You can also check for any leaks or blockages in the gas lines or fittings and address them accordingly.

3. What should I do if my hydrogen discharge tube is contaminated?

If you suspect contamination in your discharge tube, you can try cleaning it with a suitable solvent or gas. If the contamination is severe, it may be necessary to replace the tube entirely. To prevent contamination, always handle the tube with clean gloves and store it in a clean environment.

4. How can I test the power supply and wiring of my hydrogen discharge tube?

To test the power supply and wiring, first, check that all connections are secure and there are no loose or damaged wires. You can also use a multimeter to check the voltage output of the power supply. If the power supply is faulty, it may need to be replaced by a professional.

5. Can a damaged electrode cause emission stoppage in a hydrogen discharge tube?

Yes, a damaged electrode can cause emission stoppage. Inspect the electrodes for any signs of damage, such as cracks or discoloration. If damaged, the electrode will need to be replaced. It is also important to handle the electrodes with care to prevent any damage during installation or use.