Troubleshooting a Virtual Work Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of virtual work and the answer given to a specific problem. The equation is [du = 0] -Pdx + mg dh, but the answer given is different. The person is familiar with these types of questions but is having trouble understanding how the answer was derived. They mention the forces P and mg and the need to relate dh to a change in ds, which is a differential distance the piston moves. This can be done through geometry.
curtain
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65907&stc=1&d=1390369310

I've been stuck on doing my revision on this problem.

The equation of the virtual work, from what I deduce is

[du = 0] -Pdx + mg dh

However the answer given is
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65908&stc=1&d=1390369325

I'm not unfamiliar to these types of question as I've done quite a few of them. But, I just couldn't understand how'd the answer arrive to that.

I know P, is the force acting at the hydraulic extension at bc, and mg is the downward force of the car and the platform.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 645
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to relate dh to a change in ds, a differential distance the piston moves. This is just geometry.

Related to Troubleshooting a Virtual Work Problem

1. How do I troubleshoot a slow virtual work environment?

There are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot a slow virtual work environment. First, check your internet connection to make sure it is strong and stable. Next, try restarting your computer and closing any unnecessary applications. You can also try adjusting the settings of your virtual work software or upgrading your computer's hardware if necessary.

2. Why can't I access my virtual work platform?

If you are having trouble accessing your virtual work platform, there could be a few reasons. First, check your internet connection to make sure it is working properly. If your internet is fine, there may be an issue with the platform itself. Contact your IT department or the platform's customer support for assistance.

3. How can I troubleshoot audio or video issues during a virtual meeting?

If you are experiencing audio or video issues during a virtual meeting, first make sure your internet connection is stable. Next, check your microphone and camera settings to ensure they are properly connected and enabled. If the issue persists, try restarting your computer or using a different device.

4. Why is my virtual work software crashing?

If your virtual work software is crashing, it could be due to a variety of reasons. First, check if there are any updates available for the software and make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements. If the issue persists, try reinstalling the software or contacting the software's customer support for further assistance.

5. How do I troubleshoot connectivity issues with my virtual work system?

If you are experiencing connectivity issues with your virtual work system, start by checking your internet connection. If your internet is working properly, there may be an issue with the virtual work software itself. Contact your IT department for assistance or try using a different device to see if the issue is device-specific.