Troubleshooting a Mini-Hifi Right Channel Audio Issue

In summary, the user is trying to use the tape player connections on their mini-hifi as an aux input. They have soldered a stereo cable into the connections, but the right channel creates a loud clicking noise when the volume is turned up or music is played. The user suspects this may be due to the right tape head also being a record head. Both left and right tape heads are connected to a voltage output and playback inputs for the IC201 AMP. The user has removed the 4 pin connector for the tape and the audio is now quieter. They are considering bypassing the IC201 chip or elevating the sound levels for the injected audio. The hifi also has a CD player, radio tuner, and AUX input on the
richardstan
I know this is a physics forum, but someone may be able to help.

I have a mini-hifi that I want to use the tape player connections from as an aux in.

I've soldered a stereo cable into the connections on the hi-fi as shown in the electronic diagram. The left channel works fine, without any distortion. However, the audio for the right channel creates a horrible loud clicking noise like a bad connection whenever the volume is turned up and down or music plays. I assume this has something to do with the right tape head also being a record head, but when the hi-fi is in playback mode, i don't know why it would still make this noise?

Both left and right tape heads are to a voltage output VCC2 on IC201, which is just small voltage output of about 0.9V or something, as well as connecting to terminal 4 of L501.

PB2P and PB1P are the playback inputs for the IC201 AMP.

Both left and right audio input cables are coax cables. There is a single input wire covered with plastic, these are connected to the 4th and 3rd connector of the tape connector. This is then surrounded with what I am guessing is the return path of the circuit, which I have soldered to ground

Could someone tell me why this is and how to fix it?
5789512555_d1a2c9257d_b.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
both heads are record or playback depending on the position of SW S501

ok obvious question ... I hope you are not trying to have the tape heads across the input at the same time as the external signal source ?

you need to use one or the other and if you still want to be able to use the tape heads, then you need to have a separate switch to switch them out of cct whilst you are using that for an AUX input.

cheers
Dave

I've completely removed the 4 pin connector for the tape ***. The audio in is now considerably quieter and there isn't any distortion when the pc audio level is at full. I think that that voltage amplified the signal but caused distortion somehow. I think there just isn't sufficient current being supplied from the pc audio out to the amp ic to overcome the high resistance so I won't bother with this project.

Last edited:
I suspect that because of the equalisation etc for tape playback that will be incorporated into that chip. That is probably what is causing the hassles.
you may be better off putting the AUX input in some where else, what immediately springs to mind would be at the outputs of the chip. if you really didnt want to use the tape anymore you could cut away the output pins so that the chip internals didnt upset the signal you were injecting at that point.

cheers
Dave

As it stands once the 4pin tape connector is removed, left and right audio channels go directly into pb1p and pb2p of the ic201. Are you suggesting I should bypass this chip as I is causing errors. If this isn't the case, do you think there would be a way of elevating the sound levels for the injected audio by altering some pins or something?

richardstan said:
As it stands once the 4pin tape connector is removed, left and right audio channels go directly into pb1p and pb2p of the ic201. Are you suggesting I should bypass this chip as I is causing errors. If this isn't the case, do you think there would be a way of elevating the sound levels for the injected audio by altering some pins or something?

Yes that's right. That chip is designed to take a signal specifically from a magnetic tape head, signal condition and amplify it appropriately.

Just reading your first post again, I noticed that you didnt comment on what the source of your new inputted signal was. Maybe you are trying to input music from a MP3 player of some description ?
If so the level from one of them is relatively high and there should be no prob amplifying it to a decent level :)
Let's see more of the circuit, particularly what there is between the output of that chip and the input of the main amplifier stage and see what I can suggest to you.

ohhh an afterthought ... this hifi has a tape player, what other music sources does it have ? it may be easier to modify one of them

cheers
Dave

I'll post more circuit pics soon or a service manual with details. It's also got a cd player and radio tuner. It's the sharp xl-s10.

I gave up trying to find a site where I could d/l the manual for free. wasnt going to pay for it when it wasnt my system ;)

its also got an AUX input on the rear so the user manual says so are you already using that for something else ? you could always switch that input between multiple sources

Dave

Here's a copy of the service manual. If you look at page 10, there's a Power amp before the speaker and headphone stage. I think this would be the best place to inject the signal, correct?

Just click on the document link.
http://cid-dbf36a87da2b59ef.office.live.com/embedicon.aspx/Public/sharp^_xl-s10h^_sm^_[ET].pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Troubleshooting a Mini-Hifi Right Channel Audio Issue

1. Why is there no sound coming from the right channel of my mini-hifi system?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a loose or damaged connection at the speaker or amplifier, a faulty cable, or a problem with the right channel speaker itself. It is also possible that the balance or volume settings on the system are not properly adjusted. Troubleshooting these potential causes can help identify and resolve the issue.

2. How can I tell if the right channel speaker is the problem?

To determine if the right channel speaker is the issue, you can try swapping the left and right channel speakers. If the problem persists and the sound still does not come from the right side, then it is likely an issue with the speaker. However, if the sound now comes from the right side, then the problem lies elsewhere in the system.

3. What should I do if the right channel sound is distorted or muffled?

This could be caused by a damaged speaker or a problem with the amplifier. Check the speaker for any visible damage and try cleaning the connections. If the issue persists, then the amplifier may need to be repaired or replaced.

4. Is there a way to reset the mini-hifi system to fix the right channel audio issue?

Yes, some mini-hifi systems have a reset button or option in the settings menu. Refer to the user manual for your specific system to see how to perform a reset. However, keep in mind that this may erase any saved settings or presets.

5. Can I fix the right channel audio issue myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

It depends on the cause of the issue. If it is a simple fix, such as a loose connection or a faulty cable, then it can be resolved without professional help. However, if the issue is more complex, such as a malfunctioning amplifier or speaker, it may be best to seek the assistance of a professional technician to avoid causing further damage to the system.