Troubleshooting a Discrepancy in Atwood Cylinder Solution

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder and a string that does not slip, and the goal is to determine the acceleration of the cylinder. The solution involves applying the equations F=ma and ##\tau = I\alpha##, with some additional considerations about the motion of the string. However, the solution obtained using this method does not match the solution given in the solution manual. Further analysis and consideration of the motion of the string is needed to determine the error in the solution.
Abhishek11235

Homework Statement

The problem is in attached screenshot. Now,I solved this using force/torque method. However ,I got different solution as given in solution manual. Where I have gone wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying F=ma to cylinder:
$$mg-T=ma$$
Applying ##\tau = I\alpha## to cylinder about CoM,
$$TR= I\alpha$$
Since the string doesn't slip we have
$$\alpha= a/R $$

Solving the above 3 with ##I=MR^2/2## we have,
$$Mg= 3Ma/2 \implies a=2g/3$$
However,the solution is ##a=g/2##. Where I have gone wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-17-09-20-19.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-17-09-20-19.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Screenshot_2019-02-17-09-21-10.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-17-09-21-10.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 264
Physics news on Phys.org
Abhishek11235 said:
Since the string doesn't slip we have
That equation describes the cylinder's motion relative to the string, i.e. where a is the acceleration relative to the string.

Can you describe it in detail?
haruspex said:
That equation describes the cylinder's motion relative to the string, i.e. where a is the acceleration relative to the string.

haruspex said:
Please check my reasoning. The velocity of string is due to
1) The block moves down which pulls out string from cylinder
2) The cylinder moves down which unrolls thread

Hence ,total velocity of thread = 2×velocity of cylinder=##\omega ×R## since there is no slipping

Abhishek11235 said:
The velocity of string is due to
1) The block moves down which pulls out string from cylinder
Yes.
Abhishek11235 said:
The cylinder moves down which unrolls thread
No. Even if the string were stationary the cylinder would move down unrolling the thread.

Likes Abhishek11235

Related to Troubleshooting a Discrepancy in Atwood Cylinder Solution

1. What is an Atwood Cylinder Solution?

An Atwood Cylinder Solution is a physics experiment that involves two masses connected by a string over a pulley. This experiment is used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Second Law and the concept of acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is a discrepancy in an Atwood Cylinder Solution?

A discrepancy in an Atwood Cylinder Solution is when the measured acceleration of the system does not match the expected value based on the masses and the gravitational constant. This can be caused by errors in measurement, equipment malfunction, or external factors such as friction.

3. How can I troubleshoot a discrepancy in an Atwood Cylinder Solution?

To troubleshoot a discrepancy in an Atwood Cylinder Solution, you should first check for any sources of error, such as friction or incorrect measurements. You can also repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the measured acceleration values to minimize the effects of random errors. If the discrepancy persists, it is important to carefully examine the experimental setup and equipment for any malfunctions or inaccuracies.

4. What should I do if I cannot resolve the discrepancy in my Atwood Cylinder Solution?

If you are unable to resolve the discrepancy in your Atwood Cylinder Solution, it is important to consult with your instructor or a more experienced scientist for assistance. They may be able to provide insights or suggestions for troubleshooting the issue.

5. How can I prevent discrepancies in future Atwood Cylinder Solution experiments?

To prevent discrepancies in future Atwood Cylinder Solution experiments, it is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and minimize sources of error. This includes using precise measurements, minimizing friction, and ensuring that the equipment is functioning properly. It may also be helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the measured values to reduce the effects of random errors.