Troubleshooting a DC Electric Motor

In summary: It is not difficult to make this motor work, but it is more difficult than just using a permanent magnet and a dipole coil.
Nano
I am trying to make a simple electric (DC) motor using a battery (9V), wire, and magnet. For some reason the coil isn't spinning though. I scraped the entire insulation off one side, and half of the insulation off the other. Why isn't it working?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it moving at all? Did you give it a kick start? Can you show us on youtube?

Well, sometimes it spins and sometimes it doesn't! I don't really know what's going on...
If it spins for too long, does it drain the battery?

I assume you are using a permanent magnet as the stator, and a dipole coil spining on an axle. You need to have a commutator on the axle so the current in the diplole coil changes twice per turn. The battery you use should be a 1.5 volt C or D cell. If possible, wind the battery wire about 5 turns around a compass in series with the motor to make sure current is flowing.

i'm using sandpaper take off the insulation on half of the wire on one side, and all the insulation off on the other side; doesn't this work as a commutator?

Nano said:
i'm using sandpaper take off the insulation on half of the wire on one side, and all the insulation off on the other side; doesn't this work as a commutator?
I have built a motor like yours. You have to make sure the current is flowing when the battery leads are both touching the commutator.
Also, the torque on the rotor is maximum when the dipole is at right angles to the magnetic field.

Are you sure the batteries are fresh? Try changing batteries and see if the execution improves. I've had it happen to me once, the apparatus was all perfect and I set up everything according to instructions...then I found out the batteries were half dead.

it works with a large magnet, but not with a small one. What do I have to change so that it works with the small one?

It is very hard to give advise without knowing exactly what you have. Can you post a pic?

Looking at the teachingphysics jpg, this motor works on the principle that current flows through the coil during less than half a turn, when it makes electrical contact with the heavy wire. All of the insulation should be cleaned off both ends of the small (coil) wire to ensure this. The motor also operates because the coil is slightly unbalanced so that the coil breaks contact with the heavy wire while it spins. Make sure that when the spinning coil comes to rest, the coil itself is vertical (lile this "l") and not like this( "--"). From the side, it should look like "--O--" and not "----". In motor terms, the magnetic axis of the spinning coil should be horizontal when it is conducting electricity.

Related to Troubleshooting a DC Electric Motor

What are the common signs of a malfunctioning DC electric motor?

The most common signs of a malfunctioning DC electric motor include overheating, unusual noises, and a decrease in performance.

How can I troubleshoot a DC electric motor?

To troubleshoot a DC electric motor, start by checking the power supply to ensure it is functioning properly. Then, inspect the motor's wiring and connections for any damage or loose connections. You can also test the motor using a multimeter to check for any electrical issues.

Why is my DC electric motor overheating?

There are several reasons why a DC electric motor may overheat, including overloading, low voltage, or a faulty cooling system. It is important to address the cause of the overheating to prevent further damage to the motor.

What should I do if my DC electric motor is making unusual noises?

If your DC electric motor is making unusual noises, it could be a sign of worn or damaged bearings, loose parts, or debris in the motor. It is important to address these issues as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the motor.

Can I repair a malfunctioning DC electric motor myself?

In some cases, simple issues with a DC electric motor can be fixed by the user, such as tightening loose connections or cleaning the motor. However, more complex issues may require the expertise of a professional electrician or motor repair technician.