Troubles with a Dynamics exercise

In summary, the conversation discusses two carts on a flat surface being pushed by an external force. The masses of the carts and the intensity and direction of the forces exerted by each cart on the other are given. After attempting to solve the system, it is determined that the equations used were incorrect and Newton's second and third laws must be applied to find the correct forces. The final result is that the force exerted by cart 1 on cart 2 is 4N and the force exerted by cart 2 on cart 1 is -4N.
Felafel

Homework Statement

Two carts (1&2) on a flat surface, are pushed by an external force (##\vec{F}##), exerted on 1 (the carts are motionless and touching each other).

Consider the two objects as particles and take no notice of any friction.

F=12N; mass of 1 (##m_1##)=4,0 kg; mass of 2 (##m_2##)= 2,0 kg.
Find the intensity and the direction of the force exerted by 1 on 2 (##\vec{F_{12}}##) and the force exerted by 2 on 1 (##\vec{F_{21}}##)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving the system given by:
##\vec{F_{12}}=\vec{F} - \vec{F_{21}}## and ##\vec{F_{21}}= m_2 * a##

obtaining:
##m_1 * a = 12 - m_2 *a## ##\Rightarrow## ##a=2,0 m/s^2##

and thus:
##\vec{F_{21}}=2,0kg * (-2,0 m/s^2)=-4 N## with the minus sign, as this force is opposite to F
##\Rightarrow## ##\vec{F_{12}}=16N##
which, according to my textbook is not the right result.
I don't get where are the mistakes, though. Can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equations are not right - you're mixing forces acting on different objects.
You need to draw some free-body diagrams and then apply Newton 2 to them.

What will be the relation between the 2 forces you're asked to find?

Felafel said:
##\vec{F_{12}}=\vec{F} - \vec{F_{21}}##
This violates Newton's 3rd law.

allright, should it be like this then?
i find the acceleration, which is:
##a=\frac{\vec{F}}{m_1+m_2}## = ##2 m/s^2##
in the free-body diagram of 1 there is ##\vec{F_{21}}##
so I multiply the acceleration for ##m_2##, which gives ##\vec{F_{21}}=-4N## (because its direction is opposite to that of the x-axis)
and, for Newton 3, there must be an equal and opposite force, which means ##\vec{F_{12}}=4N##

Felafel said:
allright, should it be like this then?
i find the acceleration, which is:
##a=\frac{\vec{F}}{m_1+m_2}## = ##2 m/s^2##
in the free-body diagram of 1 there is ##\vec{F_{21}}##
so I multiply the acceleration for ##m_2##, which gives ##\vec{F_{21}}=-4N## (because its direction is opposite to that of the x-axis)
and, for Newton 3, there must be an equal and opposite force, which means ##\vec{F_{12}}=4N##

Yes, this looks right :)
You can check the answer by seeing that the resultant force on m1 is therefore 8N which agrees with its acceleration.

Related to Troubles with a Dynamics exercise

1. Why is it important to practice dynamics exercises?

Practicing dynamics exercises is important because it allows scientists to better understand how objects and systems move and interact with each other. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and improve critical thinking abilities.

2. What are some common challenges when working on dynamics exercises?

Some common challenges when working on dynamics exercises include understanding and applying the correct equations and concepts, visualizing and interpreting complex diagrams, and identifying and accounting for all relevant forces and variables.

3. How can I improve my performance on dynamics exercises?

To improve your performance on dynamics exercises, it is important to review and understand the relevant equations and concepts, practice solving a variety of problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. What are some real-world applications of dynamics exercises?

Dynamics exercises have many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in space, designing and testing structures and machines, analyzing the movement of fluids in pipes or channels, and understanding the forces involved in sports and other physical activities.

5. How can I check my answers when working on dynamics exercises?

You can check your answers by using a calculator or solving the problem in different ways to ensure consistency. It can also be helpful to compare your solutions with those provided in textbooks or by your teacher. Additionally, seeking feedback from a peer or teacher can help identify any mistakes or areas for improvement.