Troubles with a circuit analysis situation (RLC circuit)

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the voltage across a 2 Ω resistor at time t = 0- and the conclusion was that the voltage is zero due to no current flowing through the resistor. The conversation also involved applying KVL to calculate the voltage across the capacitor at steady state.
Anti Hydrogen
Homework Statement
the book doesn't explain how they calculated the initial value of the voltage of the 2 ohms resistance and the inductor current; i understand, however, how they calculated the initial value of the capacitor. i think they are taking the voltage of the open circuit in left as zero so that the voltage of resistance takes the value of zero too; if so, why is the open circuit voltage zero?, the definition of open circuit according to the book says that voltage of a open circuit can be any value. note that the open circuit in the left of the circuit comes from a singularity funtion
Relevant Equations
please any help will be appreciated!
thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    21 KB · Views: 209
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Anti Hydrogen,

It's not entirely clear to me what you're asking. Is it for the voltage across the 2 Ω resistor at time t = 0+ ?

gneill said:
Hi Anti Hydrogen,

It's not entirely clear to me what you're asking. Is it for the voltage across the 2 Ω resistor at time t = 0+ ?
it is at t=0 minus

gneill said:
Hi Anti Hydrogen,

it is the initial value, this is, at t less than 0

Okay. Well, at t= 0- there's no current being supplied by the current source, and no current due to the voltage source either (at steady state the capacitor looks like an open circuit). So, no current flowing anywhere. What does that tell you about the current through that resistor?

• Skeptical
Likes Anti Hydrogen
it's zero too, hence, the voltage across it is zero?

Anti Hydrogen said:
it's zero too, hence, the voltage across it is zero?
Yup.

Likes Anti Hydrogen
gneill said:
Yup.
i calculated the voltage across the right open circuit applying the KVL in right mesh,
-20-vc=0
then
vc=-20
im i right?

Attachments

• Untitle8d.png
    Untitle8d.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 175
Yes. At steady state the capacitor must have a potential difference that satisfies the KVL around the loop, but more obviously, since there's no current change through the inductor the potential at the top of the inductor with respect to the bottom of the inductor must be zero. Hence the sum of the voltage source and capacitor voltage must be zero.

Likes Anti Hydrogen

Related to Troubles with a circuit analysis situation (RLC circuit)

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be used to model a variety of real-world circuits, such as filters, oscillators, and amplifiers.

2. What are the common problems encountered in RLC circuit analysis?

The most common problems in RLC circuit analysis are determining the voltage or current in the circuit, calculating the resonant frequency, and understanding the behavior of the circuit under different input signals. Other challenges include dealing with non-ideal components, such as resistors with parasitic capacitance or inductors with resistance.

3. How do you solve for voltage and current in an RLC circuit?

To solve for voltage and current in an RLC circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and apply them to each component in the circuit. For example, Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) can be used to analyze the voltage drops across each component in a series circuit, while Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) can be used to analyze the current at each node in a parallel circuit.

4. What is the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the circuit exhibits maximum impedance or minimum current. It can be calculated using the formula fr = 1/(2πsqrt(LC)), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance in the circuit.

5. How does the input signal affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The input signal can affect the behavior of an RLC circuit in different ways, depending on its frequency and amplitude. For example, a sinusoidal input signal with a frequency equal to the resonant frequency of the circuit will result in a large amplitude response, while a signal with a frequency much higher or lower than the resonant frequency will result in a smaller response. Additionally, the amplitude of the input signal can affect the amplitude and phase of the output signal in an RLC circuit.