Trouble with Peskin QFT textbook

In summary, the conversation involves working through a scattering calculation in chapter 5 of the Peskin QFT textbook. The goal is to obtain equation 5.10, which involves taking the dot product of two bracketed terms with different momenta. The author realizes they have been using the wrong Minkowski metric relation and is able to solve the problem.
DeathbyGreen
I'm trying to work through a scattering calculation in the Peskin QFT textbook in chapter 5, specifically getting equation 5.10. They take two bracketed terms

[itex]
4[p'^{\mu}p^{\nu}+p'^{\nu}p^{\mu}-g^{\mu\nu}(p \cdot p'+m_e^2)]
[/itex]

and

[itex]
4[k_{\mu}k'_{\nu}+k_{\nu}k'_{\mu}-g_{\mu\nu}(k \cdot k'+m_{\mu}^2)]
[/itex]

they set [itex]m_e=0[/itex] and take the dot product of these two to get

[itex]
{32e^4}[(p \cdot k)(p' \cdot k')+(p \cdot k')(p' \cdot k)+m^2_{\mu}(p \cdot p')]
[/itex]

When I do this I get
[itex]
16[2(p' \cdot k)(p \cdot k')+2(k \cdot p)(p' \cdot k')-3(p' \cdot p)(k' \cdot k)-(p' \cdot p)m^2_{\mu}]
[/itex]
In this scattering problem the two incoming momenta are [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]p'[/itex] and outgoing [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]k'[/itex], so working in the COM frame I suspect there is a reduction you can make but I can't figure out what it is. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard I got it; I was using a wrong Minkowski metric relation

Related to Trouble with Peskin QFT textbook

1. What is the Peskin QFT textbook?

The Peskin QFT textbook, also known as "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder, is a widely used textbook for graduate-level courses in quantum field theory. It covers topics such as relativistic quantum mechanics, scalar and spinor fields, gauge theories, and renormalization.

2. Is the Peskin QFT textbook difficult to understand?

The Peskin QFT textbook is known for being a challenging read, even for advanced students in physics. It assumes a strong background in quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical mechanics. However, with dedication and effort, it can provide a comprehensive understanding of quantum field theory.

3. What makes the Peskin QFT textbook a good resource for studying quantum field theory?

The Peskin QFT textbook is well-regarded in the physics community for its thorough coverage of topics, clear explanations, and numerous practice problems. It also includes real-world applications of quantum field theory, making it a valuable resource for those interested in pursuing research in the field.

4. Are there any common issues or errors in the Peskin QFT textbook?

While the Peskin QFT textbook is highly respected, there have been some reported errors in the text. These are typically minor and do not significantly impact the overall understanding of the material. Additionally, the authors have released an errata document that addresses these errors.

5. How should I approach studying the Peskin QFT textbook?

As mentioned before, the Peskin QFT textbook can be challenging, so it is recommended to have a strong background in the necessary prerequisite subjects. It is also helpful to work through the practice problems and seek guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or study group. It is important to take the time to fully understand each concept and not rush through the material.