Trouble with Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump

• I
  • Thread starter joniverson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump Vacuum
In summary, the speaker has been conducting experiments requiring a 28-30 Hg vacuum and has been using a glass aspirator successfully. However, the aspirator was accidentally broken and a metal unit was purchased as a replacement. Despite setting it up in the same way, the metal unit is only able to pull up to 16 Hg vacuum. The speaker is unsure of the cause and is seeking advice on how to improve the vacuum. The possibility of the unit requiring more pressure or being defective is also mentioned.
joniverson
I've been in the process of doing experiments requiring 28- 30 Hg vacuum. For the last couple of weeks, everything seemed to be going well with a glass aspirator I acquired as it would pull the necessary vacuum, when hooked up to the tap, in about 45 seconds. Then, as luck would have it, while trying to unhook the tubing, the small wrench I was using fell and smashed the aspirator. Since the same firm I purchased from no longer had any more, I decided to go with a metal unit with the name in the subject. With virtually no change in the setup, just switching out the broken glass unit for the new metal one, I proceeded to try and draw vacuum tonight but despite all efforts, this until will only pull up to 16 Hg, and that's with both faucets turned to full. I'm not sure what could be wrong. There are no leaks and hook up is correct. Is it possible that this unit requires much more pressure than the prior glass unit, or could it possibly be defective? Anything I could try would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen apparently identical aspirators pull wildly different vacuum. They are exquisitely sensitive to their nozzle design. Also, IIRC, some may be designed for 'best flow' and others for 'best ultimate vacuum'. Hmm. Spec suggests this model *should* do the trick...

Have you tried cleaning the internal nozzle ? Only takes a trace of dirt or 'flash' to cripple the hydrodynamics...

Related to Trouble with Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump

1. What is the purpose of the Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump?

The Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump is used in laboratory and industrial settings to create a vacuum for various applications, such as filtration, distillation, and degassing.

2. How does the Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump work?

The pump uses the Venturi effect to create a vacuum. Water is directed through a nozzle at high velocity, creating a low pressure area that draws air or other gases through an inlet. The air and water then mix and are expelled through an exhaust port.

3. What are the main components of the Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump?

The main components of the pump include the nozzle, inlet, exhaust port, and water supply. It also has a control valve to adjust the water flow and a pressure gauge to monitor the vacuum level.

4. How do I maintain and troubleshoot the Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump?

To maintain the pump, regularly check and replace the water supply and clean any debris from the nozzle and inlet. If the pump is not creating enough vacuum, check for clogs or leaks in the system. If the issue persists, consult the manufacturer's instructions or contact customer support.

5. Is the Humboldt H12090 aspirator vacuum pump suitable for all laboratory applications?

No, the pump is not suitable for all applications. It is best for low and medium vacuum levels and is not recommended for corrosive or high-temperature substances. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions and choose the appropriate pump for your specific application.