Trouble with DIY Quantum Eraser Experiment?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter jimjones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy Eraser
In summary, the DIY Quantum Eraser Experiment, which involves using a laser pointer and polarizing filters to observe the effects of quantum mechanics, has been met with challenges due to the complexity of quantum mechanics and the difficulty in controlling variables. Many attempts at replicating the experiment have yielded inconsistent results, raising questions about its validity. Some experts argue that the experiment may not accurately reflect the principles of quantum mechanics and caution against drawing conclusions from its outcomes. However, proponents of the experiment believe that with further improvements and refinements, it could provide valuable insights into the mysterious world of quantum physics.
jimjones
Hello,

I am trying to perform the DIY quantum eraser experiment, but I'm having some trouble. When I perform the classic double slit experiment using a cheap laser pointer and a piece of wire I get a beautiful interference pattern as expected. However when I try the DIY QE experiment I still get an interference pattern, but slightly smudged. I'm using cheap cardboard 3D glasses for the polarizers. I lined up perpendicular pieces and cut them straight. I butted them up against each other and covered the joint with a piece of wire. I've double checked the alignment of the polarizers several times, but I'm still getting the interference pattern. Could my laser pointer be too low quality? Are the polarizing lenses ineffective? Or do I misunderstand the experiment? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm unfamiliar with the DIY QE experiment. Can you provide a link.

ok I found it.

two questions

1) did you test the polarizers (by putting them on top of each other) to ensure that all light is being blocked by their combination?
2) did you make sure you then took them and placed them side by side without changing their orientation (including flipping front and back)? The front and back side of some polarizers are different.

here it is for other people
http://www.scientificamerican.com/slideshow.cfm?id=a-do-it-yourself-quantum-eraser

I don't think this actually is a real quantum eraser experiment at all. The results do not rely on knowledge of paths destroying the self interference. Knowledge of the paths wouldn't remove interference in this case because there are multiple photons so we don't just need to worry about self interference. This experiment claims that the polarization marks the streams, however it doesn't just mark the particles it also polarizes them. The polarization alone completely explains the results.

Yes, I've double checked the orientation of the polarizers many times, they are perpendicular.

Joseph14 said:
ok I found it.

two questions

1) did you test the polarizers (by putting them on top of each other) to ensure that all light is being blocked by their combination?
2) did you make sure you then took them and placed them side by side without changing their orientation (including flipping front and back)? The front and back side of some polarizers are different.

Related to Trouble with DIY Quantum Eraser Experiment?

1. How does the DIY Quanum Eraser work?

The DIY Quanum Eraser is a tool that uses a combination of sound waves and UV light to break down and remove stubborn stains and dirt from various surfaces. The sound waves create vibrations that help loosen the dirt, while the UV light helps to disinfect the surface.

2. Can the DIY Quanum Eraser be used on all surfaces?

No, the DIY Quanum Eraser is not suitable for use on all surfaces. It is designed for hard, non-porous surfaces such as glass, metal, and plastic. It should not be used on delicate surfaces such as wood or painted surfaces.

3. How long does it take for the DIY Quanum Eraser to remove stains?

The time it takes to remove stains with the DIY Quanum Eraser will vary depending on the type of stain and the surface it is on. Some stains may be removed in a matter of minutes, while others may require multiple treatments.

4. Is the DIY Quanum Eraser safe to use?

Yes, the DIY Quanum Eraser is safe to use when following the instructions provided. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to keep the tool away from children and pets. It is also recommended to test the tool on a small, inconspicuous area before using it on a larger surface.

5. Can the DIY Quanum Eraser be used for commercial purposes?

The DIY Quanum Eraser is primarily designed for personal use, but it can also be used for light commercial purposes. However, it is not suitable for heavy-duty commercial use. It is important to follow the instructions and safety precautions when using the tool for any purpose.