Trouble with basic algebra in Calculus 1.

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges the speaker is facing with their algebra skills while taking Calculus I. Despite doing well in Algebra I and II, they struggle with multiplication and simplifying expressions in Calculus I. The suggested solution is to practice more and possibly review algebra and trigonometry concepts from a textbook. It is also mentioned that it is common to learn math concepts as they are needed, rather than all at once.
Ghostcrown
It's rather strange, isn't it? I did just fine in Algebra I, and even better in Algebra II, but now that I'm in Calculus I I'm finding that my algebra skills aren't as sharp as I thought they were. Often times i'll get the calculus portions of problems correct, but when it comes down to multiplying things out or simplifying, i'll choke and be unable to finish the problem because there's so much stuff everywhere and I'm just not entirely sure how to distribute things properly or how to simplify expressions. What would you suggest I do at this point? (Given that backing out of calculus is not an option.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Practice, practice, practice. The more problems you work, the more it will become second nature.

It could come down to school curriculum. I took Precalculus 11 over the summer and am taking Precalculus 12 right now, and I can tell from the outline of the course that our school curriculum here in Alberta leaves students vastly underprepared for calculus and linear algebra. So yeah, as the above poster mentioned, get your hands on a algebra/trigonometry book from the library, and practice the areas where you think you are weak or underprepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is actually fairly natural to learn math n-1 while taking math n, i.e. as you need it. it seems to be hopeless to learn in math n-1 all the math you will need in math n. so hang in there.

Related to Trouble with basic algebra in Calculus 1.

1. Why is algebra important in Calculus 1?

Algebra is important in Calculus 1 because it provides the foundation for understanding and solving more complex equations and problems. It allows us to manipulate equations and expressions in order to find solutions and make connections between various mathematical concepts.

2. How can I improve my algebra skills for Calculus 1?

The best way to improve your algebra skills for Calculus 1 is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also review basic algebra concepts, such as factoring, simplifying expressions, and solving equations, before moving on to more advanced topics.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using algebra in Calculus 1?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using algebra in Calculus 1 include errors in simplifying expressions, forgetting to distribute negative signs, and making mistakes when solving equations. It is important to double check your work and be familiar with the rules of algebra to avoid these errors.

4. How do I know when to use algebra in Calculus 1?

Algebra is used in Calculus 1 when solving equations, finding derivatives and integrals, and working with functions. It is also used to simplify expressions and make connections between different mathematical concepts. Practice and familiarity with algebra will help you recognize when it is needed in Calculus 1.

5. What resources are available to help with basic algebra in Calculus 1?

There are many resources available to help with basic algebra in Calculus 1, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Your professor or teaching assistant may also be able to provide additional assistance or recommend helpful resources.