Trouble understanding - to + vs + to - current flow

In summary, when looking at the directions of magnetic flux in relation to current flow, it is important to consider the direction of electron flow and whether you are referring to an electrical perspective or a Physics perspective. In general, current is considered to flow from higher potential to lower potential in both AC and DC circuits, regardless of the direction of electron flow. However, some older texts may use the direction of electron flow to define current direction, so it is important to be aware of different conventions when switching between sources. Electrons are the mobile charge carriers and are responsible for the flow of current from negative to positive, while the positive ions in a conductor remain stationary. The only exception to this is in semiconductors, where the concept of
pecchiaw12

Homework Statement

When reading about directions of magnetic flux in relation to current flow on pages 6 to 8 of http://www.free-energy-info.tuks.nl/Non-Ferrous-Magnet.pdf , I found that in figure 11 the current is traveling from + to - terminals, while in figure 12, the current flows from - to + terminals. I am still learning about the basics of circuitry and magnetism, and I want to understand why and how a current can flow in both directions.

Homework Equations

None that I know of. If there are some I would like to be enlightened.

The Attempt at a Solution

After reading this article "http://www.blueraja.com/blog/179/do...tive-to-negative-or-from-negative-to-positive" I found that from a Physics standpoint a current would travel from - to + in reference to electron flow, but in electronics it doesn't matter. Why doesn't it matter? Can a current move both ways or only one?

Attachments

• 8.PNG
    8.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 6,7.PNG
    6,7.PNG
    79.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 6,7.PNG
    6,7.PNG
    79.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Non-Ferrous-Magnet.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 257
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you caught an error in the text! The two arrows in figure 12 should be reversed so that current will be flowing from + to - in the wires. The directions of the magnetic fields in fig 12 should also be reversed.

Oh, ok. Does this mean that currents ,in reference to an electrical perspective (as opposed to a Physics perspective), always travel from + to - in DC and AC currents, or are there exceptions?

As long as you take current to be in the direction that positive charge would flow, then current will always flow in a conductor from higher potential to lower potential. The + and - refer to regions of higher and lower potential respectively. This is true in both DC and AC circuits. In AC, the potentials of the two ends of a conductor are alternating in regard to which end is at the higher potential.

The usual convention in physics today is to take current to be in the direction that positive charge would flow, therefore opposite to the direction of electron flow. I believe that this is also the usual convention being used in electronics. However,some older texts take the direction of electron flow to define current direction. So, you have to be careful when switching between different books.

That makes sense. Thanks for setting things straight and informing me of the standard current conventions used today.

TSny said:
The usual convention in physics today is to take current to be in the direction that positive charge would flow, therefore opposite to the direction of electron flow. I believe that this is also the usual convention being used in electronics. However,some older texts take the direction of electron flow to define current direction. So, you have to be careful when switching between different books.
pecchiaw12 said:
That makes sense. Thanks for setting things straight and informing me of the standard current conventions used today.

It doesn't matter too much which one you use, as long as you state which and stick to it through out a given discussion when talking generally

but you need to know and understand that current IS the flow of electrons from negative to positive
This is because the electrons are the mobile charge carriers ... the positive ions in a wire don't move ! ... they are fixed in the atomic lattice of the conductor and don't go anywhere
The only real variation to this is when dealing with semiconductors where things get a little more complicatedDave

Related to Trouble understanding - to + vs + to - current flow

1. What is the difference between current flowing from negative to positive and positive to negative?

The direction of current flow is defined as the direction in which positive charges move. In the conventional current flow notation, current flows from positive to negative. However, in reality, electrons (which carry negative charge) flow from negative to positive. This is known as electron flow notation.

2. How does the direction of current flow affect circuits?

The direction of current flow is important in understanding how a circuit operates. In a closed circuit, current must flow from the positive terminal of the voltage source to the negative terminal. This creates a complete circuit and allows the flow of electrons to power devices connected to the circuit.

3. Can current flow in both directions?

Yes, current can flow in both directions. In alternating current (AC) circuits, the direction of current flow changes periodically. In direct current (DC) circuits, the direction of current flow remains constant.

4. How is the direction of current flow determined in a circuit?

The direction of current flow in a circuit is determined by the orientation of the voltage source. The positive terminal of the voltage source is considered the starting point, and the direction of current flow is towards the negative terminal. This is true for both conventional current flow and electron flow notations.

5. Why is it important to understand the direction of current flow?

Understanding the direction of current flow is crucial in troubleshooting circuits and designing electrical systems. By knowing the direction of current flow, one can determine the polarity of components and ensure proper connections for the circuit to function correctly. It also helps in understanding the behavior of different types of circuits, such as DC and AC circuits.