Trouble proving multiplication cancellation law fails

In summary: This is where your proof falls apart.By the way, I found a counter-example that does prove that the law fails. It fails when $j=0$, $k=2$, and $m=3$. I am just still a bit perplexed as to why the proof I constructed initially is invalid.You are not alone in being perplexed by this. It is a classic example of a false proof that is very convincing and can be difficult to spot. The key is to carefully examine each step and see if it truly follows logically from the previous steps. In your case, the mistake was in assuming that $j-k$ being an integer implies that $p/m$ is also an integer. In summary, the conversation discusses the
skate_nerd
The problem given says to consider the addition and multiplication \(\oplus\) and \(\odot\) on \(\mathbb{Z}_6\) defined by
$$[m]\oplus[n]=[m+n]$$ and $$[m]\odot[n]=[mn].$$I need to verify, among other things, that the multiplication cancellation law fails (if \([m]\odot[j]=[m]\odot[k]\) and \([m]\neq{0}\), then \([j]=[k]\) ).
With a bit of inspection, I began to believe that it in fact does not fail, and I thought I constructed a valid proof showing why, until my professor told me otherwise.

Suppose that \([m]\odot[j]=[m]\odot[k]\). This can be written as \([mk]=[mj]\). This holds if \([mj]=[mk+6p]\) for any integer \(p\).
So we have that
$$mj=mk+6p$$ $$6p=mj-mk$$ $$6p=m(j-k)$$ $$6\frac{p}{m}=j-k$$ \(j=k+6\frac{p}{m}\) where \(\frac{p}{m}\) is an integer. This is the same thing as writing \([j]=[k]\), because \([j]=[k+6\frac{p}{m}]\).
I am pretty sure that this proves the multiplication cancellation law holds but apparently that isn't the case, making me feel like I really don't understand this topic well...

If anybody could help show me where my logic goes south, that would be great. Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: trouble proving multiplication cancellation law fails

skatenerd said:
$$6p=m(j-k)$$ $$6\frac{p}{m}=j-k$$ \(j=k+6\frac{p}{m}\) where \(\frac{p}{m}\) is an integer.
The fact that $j-k$ is an integer does not imply that $p/m$ is, although it does imply that $6p/m$ is an integer.

skatenerd said:
I am pretty sure that this proves the multiplication cancellation law holds but apparently that isn't the case, making me feel like I really don't understand this topic well...
To grasp what's going on, go through the proof that cancellation law holds when there are no zero divisors. See where the absence of zero divisors is used. Then find zero divisors in $\mathbb{Z}_5$ and construct a counterexample to your statement. Go through your proof and see exactly which step is wrong.

[2]*[3] = [0]

[0]*[3] = [0]

[2] does not equal [0].

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The fact that $j-k$ is an integer does not imply that $p/m$ is, although it does imply that $6p/m$ is an integer.

To grasp what's going on, go through the proof that cancellation law holds when there are no zero divisors. See where the absence of zero divisors is used. Then find zero divisors in $\mathbb{Z}_5$ and construct a counterexample to your statement. Go through your proof and see exactly which step is wrong.

A couple things:
Did you mean to say find zero divisors in $\mathbb{Z}_5$? Because the problem is considering $\mathbb{Z}_6$.
Also, you say that $j-k$ being an integer DOES imply that $6\frac{p}{m}$ is also an integer. So if this is true, then my conclusion would still prove the multiplication cancellation law does not fail, right? I concluded that $[j]=[k+6\frac{p}{m}]$, meaning \(j\) equals \(k\) plus some integer.
Would this not be sufficient proof because $6\frac{p}{m}$ has some values where it would not make $[j]=[k]$?

By the way, I found a counter-example that does prove that the law fails. It fails when $[j]=[0]$, $[k]=[2]$, and $[m]=[3]$. I am just still a bit perplexed as to why the proof I constructed initially is invalid.

skatenerd said:
Did you mean to say find zero divisors in $\mathbb{Z}_5$?
In $\mathbb{Z}_6$.

skatenerd said:
Also, you say that $j-k$ being an integer DOES imply that $6\frac{p}{m}$ is also an integer. So if this is true, then my conclusion would still prove the multiplication cancellation law does not fail, right? I concluded that $[j]=[k+6\frac{p}{m}]$, meaning \(j\) equals \(k\) plus some integer.
To conclude that $[j]=[k]$, you need to show that $j=k+6q$ where $q$ is an integer, not that $j=k+q$ where $q$ is an integer. You showed that $j=k+6p/m$, but $p/m$ is not necessarily an integer.

Related to Trouble proving multiplication cancellation law fails

1. What is the multiplication cancellation law?

The multiplication cancellation law, also known as the cancellation property, states that if a, b, and c are non-zero numbers and a * b = a * c, then b = c. In other words, if two numbers have the same product when multiplied by a third number, then the two numbers must be equal.

2. Why is it important to prove that the multiplication cancellation law can fail?

Proving that the multiplication cancellation law can fail is important because it helps us understand the limitations of this mathematical property. It shows us that there are cases where the law does not hold true, and this knowledge can help us develop more accurate and comprehensive mathematical theories.

3. How do you prove that the multiplication cancellation law fails?

To prove that the multiplication cancellation law fails, you must provide a counterexample. This means finding specific values for a, b, and c that satisfy the condition a * b = a * c, but b does not equal c. This contradicts the law and proves that it can fail in certain cases.

4. What are some common counterexamples to the multiplication cancellation law?

One common counterexample to the multiplication cancellation law is when a = 0. In this case, any value for b and c will satisfy the condition a * b = a * c, but b and c will not be equal. Another counterexample is when a = -1, b = 2, and c = -2. This also satisfies the condition but does not follow the law.

5. How does the failure of the multiplication cancellation law affect other mathematical concepts?

The failure of the multiplication cancellation law can have implications for other mathematical concepts that rely on this property. For example, it can affect the simplification of algebraic expressions and the solving of equations. It can also impact the development of more advanced mathematical theories and equations.