Trouble graphing and working out functions

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with graphing and working out functions, specifically the ones listed. They mention being in a time crunch and appreciate any quick advice. They also suggest using a technique involving intercepts and asymptotes, and provide a link to a helpful resource. They also recommend using an online graphing tool for quick solutions.
Solidmozza
Hi everyone.
Im on a bit of a time crunch, so all advice ASAP would be greatly appreciated.
Im usually quite good at maths, am In High School, and we are doing functions. In particular, I am having trouble graphing and working out functions like the following type:
Eg Graph the following, y = 1/(x*2+1)
or Graph the following, y = x + 1/x
Any help in a technique on how to do these types of problems, ASAP, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get stuck, just make a t-chart :D
I'm totaly serious though, if you ever forget how a certain graph looks, just plug in a few sample points.

Solidmozza said:
Hi everyone.
Im on a bit of a time crunch, so all advice ASAP would be greatly appreciated.
Im usually quite good at maths, am In High School, and we are doing functions. In particular, I am having trouble graphing and working out functions like the following type:
Eg Graph the following, y = 1/(x*2+1)
or Graph the following, y = x + 1/x
Any help in a technique on how to do these types of problems, ASAP, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Basic technique is to start with x-intercepts, y-intercepts, x-asymptotes, and y-asymptotes, and then fill in between by calculating and graphing some individual (x,y) point values (where needed until the graph seems complete). The first URL below presents a good review of this technique. The 2nd URL provides an on-line grapher from your browser to quickly graph most simple algebraic functions. (Instructions for its use are below the graph display.)
http://www.wiu.edu/users/mfjro1/wiu/tea/Functions/handouts/graphrat-howto.htm
http://www.math.niu.edu/~apel/applets/numericalAnalysis/graphingApplet/

~~

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Trouble graphing and working out functions

1. How do I graph a function?

To graph a function, you first need to determine the domain and range of the function. Then, plot points on a coordinate plane using these values. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to graph more complex functions.

2. What is the difference between a linear and quadratic function?

A linear function has a constant rate of change, meaning the graph is a straight line. A quadratic function has a variable rate of change, causing the graph to curve. Additionally, quadratic functions have a squared term, while linear functions do not.

3. How do I find the x- and y-intercepts of a function?

To find the x-intercept, set y equal to 0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x equal to 0 and solve for y. These values will be the points where the function crosses the x- and y-axes on the graph.

4. What is the importance of the slope of a function?

The slope of a function represents the rate of change between two points on the graph. It can also indicate the direction of the function, whether it is increasing or decreasing. The slope is essential in understanding the behavior of a function.

5. How do I work with inverse functions?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" another function. To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The inverse function will have the same domain and range as the original function but will be reflected over the line y=x.