Trouble finding velocity equation

In summary, the problem given is to find the velocity after 3.6 seconds using the given acceleration equation a(t) = C*t, with C = 1.2 m/s^3. The initial velocity is given as 5.0 m/s at 1.0 second. To find the final velocity, the constant of integration must be calculated using the initial velocity and time, and then added to the integrated equation for 3.6 seconds.
jjlandis

Homework Statement

The problem given has a(t) = C*t where C is a constant and equals 1.2 m/s^3 and t is time. It says velocity after 1.0 second is 5.0 m/s. The question is, what is the velocity after 3.6 seconds. I don't know if I can integrate to get the velocity equation or not. Please help.
Thanks!

Homework Equations

a(t) = C*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate to get the velocity equation from the acceleration equation given and solving from there but was not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find integration. Using the value of velocity( 5m/s) and time(1s) find the constant of integration. Repeat the integration for 3.6s and put the calculated constant of integration to get the final answer.

Thank you for the help. I believe I was leaving out the constant that is added to the equation when integrating. Thanks again!

Related to Trouble finding velocity equation

1. What is the velocity equation?

The velocity equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate an object's speed and direction. It is defined as velocity = distance / time, where velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s), distance is measured in meters (m), and time is measured in seconds (s).

2. How do I find the velocity equation for a moving object?

To find the velocity equation for a moving object, you must first determine the distance traveled by the object and the time it took to cover that distance. Then, plug these values into the formula velocity = distance / time to calculate the velocity.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of motion.

4. Can the velocity equation be used for objects with varying speeds?

Yes, the velocity equation can be used for objects with varying speeds. However, to accurately calculate the velocity, you must use the average speed of the object over a given time interval, rather than just its initial or final speed.

5. How does the velocity equation relate to the laws of motion?

The velocity equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). By rearranging this equation to solve for acceleration (a=F/m), and then substituting acceleration into the equation for velocity (v=a*t), we get the final velocity equation of v=F*t/m. This shows how velocity is directly proportional to the force applied and the time interval, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.