Trouble finding direction of two force vectors

In summary: Thank you, I got it. I plotted it and then took the inverse tan to get the angle.In summary, the block is accelerated by a net force of 5 in the x and y direction.
Gradyjenkinz

Homework Statement

[/B]
A block of mass 2kg is accelerated by the two forces F1 = 8i + 3j and F2 = -5i - 7j, (a) What is the net force on the block in unit vector notation, and what is its magnitude and direction? (b) What is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure of the equation for the direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to dot the two vectors to get the Force, but I am stuck from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
By convention, i,j,k are the unit vectors (of length 1) in the positive x,y and z axis respectively. By using i,j,k you have already taken into account for direction.

JeremyG said:
By convention, i,j,k are the unit vectors (of length 1) in the positive x,y and z axis respectively. By using i,j,k you have already taken into account for direction.
In the back of my book it gives answers, and the answer for this involves a degree though.

Yes, that is the answer for the second part of the question, part (a):
Gradyjenkinz said:
and what is its magnitude and direction?

I must've misunderstood your question.

You already have the net force in vector notation, am i right? Noting that i and j are unit vectors in the x and y direction, resolve your net force vector into the x and y direction. Then you should be able to see what you need to do to get the direction.

Hint: you need trigonometry

Gradyjenkinz said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A block of mass 2kg is accelerated by the two forces F1 = 8i + 3j and F2 = -5i - 7j, (a) What is the net force on the block in unit vector notation, and what is its magnitude and direction? (b) What is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure of the equation for the direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to dot the two vectors to get the Force, but I am stuck from here.
Can you show your work so far? Note that forces sum to yield a net force.

gneill said:
Can you show your work so far? Note that forces sum to yield a net force.
Yeah sure. So far I dotted the two vectors and I got Fnet = 3i - 4j, then F=5 for the magnitude. I then plotted the vectors on a graph and not sure what to do from here.

Attachments

• physicsProblem3.jpg
    physicsProblem3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 182
Gradyjenkinz said:
Yeah sure. So far I dotted the two vectors and I got Fnet = 3i - 4j, then F=5 for the magnitude. I then plotted the vectors on a graph and not sure what to do from here.
I don't know what you did here, but the dot product of two vectors is a scalar, not another vector.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/vectors-dot-product.html

The resultant of two vectors F1 and F2 is found by vector addition, or Fres = F1 + F2

In other words, you add the i and j components of each vector together to produce the resultant vector.

Gradyjenkinz said:

Plot your net force similarly. Do you understand how and why the magnitude of 3i - 4j is 5?

Likes Gradyjenkinz
Gradyjenkinz said:
Yeah sure. So far I dotted the two vectors and I got Fnet = 3i - 4j,

Note that what you did was not a dot product, it's a sum. You would write (8i + 3j)+(-5i - 7j) = 3i - 4j, not (8i + 3j)⋅(-5i - 7j) = 3i - 4j.

To find the angle, make a drawing of 3i - 4j.

JeremyG said:
Plot your net force similarly. Do you understand how and why the magnitude of 3i - 4j is 5?
Thank you, I got it. I plotted it and then took the inverse tan to get the angle.

Related to Trouble finding direction of two force vectors

What is a force vector?

A force vector is a representation of a force that includes its magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the force.

How do you find the direction of two force vectors?

To find the direction of two force vectors, you can use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. The parallelogram law involves drawing a parallelogram using the two force vectors as adjacent sides, with the diagonal of the parallelogram representing the resultant force. The triangle law involves drawing a triangle using the two force vectors as two sides, with the third side representing the resultant force. The direction of the resultant force can be determined by measuring the angle between the third side and the first force vector.

What if the two force vectors are not in the same direction?

If the two force vectors are not in the same direction, they can be broken down into their horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal components can be added together, and the vertical components can be added together. The resulting horizontal and vertical components can then be used to find the direction of the resultant force using the parallelogram or triangle law.

What if one force vector is larger than the other?

If one force vector is larger than the other, the larger force will have a greater influence on the direction of the resultant force. The smaller force will still contribute to the direction of the resultant force, but to a lesser extent. The direction of the resultant force can still be found using the parallelogram or triangle law.

Why is it important to find the direction of two force vectors?

It is important to find the direction of two force vectors because it allows us to determine the resultant force and its direction. This information is crucial in understanding the net effect of multiple forces acting on an object, and is essential in predicting the motion of the object.