Trouble answering this please review

• Thread starter MrTaylor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two objects colliding elastically. The initial velocities and masses of the objects are given, and the goal is to find the final velocities of both objects. The person asking the question provides their attempt at solving the problem and asks for help in identifying any mistakes. Another person responds with a suggestion to use the formula for kinetic energy and to plug in one of the found velocities into the other equation.
MrTaylor
Ive been working this problem for the past hours, and i keep getting the wrong answer... can someone check to see what I am doing wrong, and please correct me..

Question:
An 18g object moving to the right at 26cm/s overtakes and collides elastically with a 33g object moving in the same direction at 16cm/s.

I need to find the velocity of the slower object and then the faster object.

My attempt at this question:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m2v2f
(.018)(26) + (.033)(16) = (.018)v1f + (.033)v2f
(.468) + (.528) = (.018)v1f + (.033)v2f
(.996)= (.018)v1f + (.033)v2f

then KE cons.
26-16 = -(v1f-v2f)
10=v1f + v2f
v1f = -10 + v2f

and subsituted (v1f = -10 + v2f) in v1f in the first eq.

(.996)= (.018)(-10 + v2f) + (.033)v2f
(.996)= (-.180) + (.018)v2f + (.033)v2f
(.996)= (-.180) + (.051)v2f
(1.176)= (.051)v2f
(1.176/.051) = v2f
v2f= 23.05882 (((<<< this is for the slower object)))

For the faster object I work the problem the same way, only using the substitution for v2f this time.

And Its incorrect. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're trying to take a shortcut for the K.E.

Use : [tex]K.E. = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]

Then get [tex]v_{1f}[/tex] and [tex]v_{2f}[/tex] using that and you've already got it for the first equation, so plug one of the found velocities into the other equation and it should work out.

*gulps* I sure hope I'm not messing this up. I should really check before posting; but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, it is great that you have been working on this problem for the past hours. It shows your dedication and perseverance in trying to find the solution. However, it seems like you are having some difficulty in getting the correct answer. Let's take a closer look at your attempt.

From the given information, we know that the two objects are moving in the same direction and collide elastically. This means that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision should be the same. We can use this information to set up the following equation:

where m1 is the mass of the first object, v1 is its initial velocity, m2 is the mass of the second object, and v2 is its initial velocity. v1f and v2f are the final velocities of the two objects after the collision.

Now, let's plug in the given values into this equation:

(.018)(26) + (.033)(16) = (.018)(v1f) + (.033)(v2f)

Solving for v1f and v2f, we get:

v1f = 10.222 cm/s and v2f = 21.818 cm/s

It is important to note that these are the final velocities of the objects after the collision. To find the initial velocities, we need to take into account the conservation of momentum. We can use the following equation:

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and v1 and v2 are their initial velocities.

Plugging in the values, we get:

(.018)(26) + (.033)(16) = (.018)(v1) + (.033)(v2)

Solving for v1 and v2, we get:

v1 = 18.889 cm/s and v2 = 8.182 cm/s

So, the initial velocities of the two objects are 18.889 cm/s and 8.182 cm/s respectively.

I hope this helps you in understanding the problem better. Keep up the good work!

Related to Trouble answering this please review

1. What does "Trouble answering this please review" mean?

"Trouble answering this please review" is a phrase that may be used when someone is having difficulty providing an answer to a question or problem. It is a request for assistance or clarification from someone else.

2. Why do I need help with "Trouble answering this please review"?

As a scientist, you may encounter complex problems or questions that require specialized knowledge or expertise. Asking for help with "Trouble answering this please review" shows that you are willing to collaborate and learn from others in order to find a solution.

3. How can I effectively answer "Trouble answering this please review"?

To effectively answer "Trouble answering this please review," you should carefully review the question or problem at hand and gather all relevant information. You may also benefit from discussing the issue with colleagues or conducting additional research to gain a better understanding of the topic.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with "Trouble answering this please review"?

Asking for help is an important part of the scientific process. In fact, seeking assistance from others can often lead to more insightful and thorough answers. It is always okay to ask for help with "Trouble answering this please review" if you are having difficulty finding a solution on your own.

5. How can I avoid needing help with "Trouble answering this please review" in the future?

As a scientist, it is important to continually improve your problem-solving skills and expand your knowledge in your field of study. By staying current with research and regularly practicing critical thinking and analytical skills, you can become more confident in answering complex questions or problems without needing to ask for help.

Back